[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, March 7-12, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, March 7-12, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** MEXICO. 730, March 11 at 0116 on caradio, R. Viva Villa was dominating with several IDs during promo, i.e. XEHB in Hidalgo del Parral, Chihuahua. Wonder if still on day power of 50 kW instead of 1 kW at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1400, March 10 at 1700 UT, KREF Norman, joint ID with KADA 1230 Ada, news from News9OK, Oklahoma Network, ``Sports Talk 1400``. I see nothing on the website
http://www.sportstalk1400.com/kref2/index.php
about Ada. 1400 is a.k.a. ``The Ref`` --- now I get it.

Neither station is audible in Enid, 1400 adjacent to local 1390, so I was hearing this from just north of Kingfisher. In its previous incarnation as KNOR, 1400 carried WORLD OF RADIO for a while (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 529, beacon LYQ at WWRB, Manchester TN, appears off air, as we could enjoy nice hetless EZL instrumental music from Radio Enciclopedia, Cuba on 530, March 11 around 0520-0600 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, March 11 at 0122 UT on caradio, Crimestoppers PSA with phone 822-1111, then ``Gospel 1280`` slogan. Google on phone number goes right to New Orleans LA, and slogan chex in NRC AM Log for WODT New Orleans (originally WDSU) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1640+, March 11 at 0119 UT, I notice that KFXY Faith 1640, Enid OK, has a fast SAH of some 20 Hz, within its nighttime direxional coverage area in OKC. Is it off-frequency, or is WTNI? At 1653 UT in Enid, I find that 1640 is not offset compared to numerous other groundwave carriers 1390-1600 kHz.

Yes, WTNI in Mississippi is reported as 17-19 Hz high, as recently as Jan 13, 2011, at http://www.mwlist.org/mwoffset.php?khz=1640
where as usual KFXY does not even make a showing.

And, in March MW News, Barry Davies in UK measured WTNI on 1640.03, i.e. 30 Hz high, February 11 at 0700 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, figured I should have a good chance at the WKVQ DX test, 10 kW daytimer in Eatonton, Georgia (midway between Athens and Macon, ESE of Atlanta), with my FRG-7 longwire aimed E-W already, and there it was, March 12 at 0612 UT, announcing mailing address, but always underneath dominant 1540 talk station // KOKC 1520, and with multiple SAHs from numerous other signals. WKVQ played various Xmas music, such as ``Winter Wonderland`` heard first, 0615 ``Let it Snow`` on piano, 0618 ``Sleigh Ride``, 0622 ``Santa Claus is Comin` to Town``, 0629 ``Sleigh Ride`` again.

These alternated with code IDs, each twice, as WKVQ, and it sounded like the tones employed were not a pure single tone, at 0615, 0622, 0629, 0630; plus voice IDs but I could never copy a complete announcement due to QRM, at 0612, 0618, 0627, 0630. I tried the DX-398 but could not get any significant improvement trying to null the other station, which turned out to be KXEL on the Midnight Radio Network as IDed at 0626 when it came in stronger.

Tune-out after 0630, assuming the test part I was over. The 0600-0630 DX test was supposed to be for Europe before sunrise, in addition to originally scheduled 0700-0730 for North America, but hardly necessary to stay up for that (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###