From: "Michael Yule" <michaelyule@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 10:56 PM
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] MFJ1025

Hi all - Using my KIWA hot-rodded ICF2010 (new wide filter, audio upgrade) and Steve Ratzlaff modified MFJ1025 (thanks Steve!) in conjunction with an ALA330S (main antenna) and Quantum2+ (auxiliary antenna). It was suggested that the 1025 wouldn't work properly with 2 loops, but my experience has been really positive. I don't have any room to put up a longwire for noise anyway, so this is what I had to use, and am making the best of it. In general they work VERY well together. In fact, I think that in some cases I can get a lot better nulls using the 2 loops than I could if I was using a longwire for the noise antenna, because I can adjust the Q2+ a few degrees either way after I've achieved the best null I can using the controls and often zero out the target I want. Interestingly I note that the null position changes over time, especially on nulls that are on stations a few hundred km away. Anyway, my experience is that 2 loops DO work on the 1025. The only caveat I might s! ay is that I imagine that I will have a hard time reproducing particular radiation pattern, because there are so many variables a/w using a loop as a noise antenna. For instance I can adjust the inclination as well as the rotational position, neither of which is possible with a longwire.

An example of its effectiveness is this log I made today - there have been a number of others:

820 kHz WBAP Fort Worth Texas 0500, full ID at TOH after nulling KGNW Burien-Seattle. No trace of WBAP until the null was done. This is 2800+ km from my QTH in Vancouver, Canada. Faded down into the dust quite quickly after the ID, but up and down again in bursts over the next half hour.

Thanks

Michael