[IRCA] New Receiver test

I located a Grundig globe Traveller at the Source ( Formerly Radio Shack ) for approx $ 80 CAD discounted from $ 150 to use on my next trip across the pond to see what it can do in western Europe. It has a tuning range of 150 Khz to 30000 Khz continuous in single numbers with a rotating tuning control and stepped bands on the push button tuning.There are Syncronous detector switches with upper and lower sideband positions which do a neat job of cutting down signal overlap on the AM , making for good selectivity when activated.(with a wide-narrow bandwidth switch on).The FM side has RDS capability for station ID and radio program visible on LCD screen.It has 700 programmable presets but would probably not even pick up that many stations on the whole tuning range.There is also an aviation band from 118 to 136 Mhz.Signal pull on AM is not the best (even with local/dx on DX) but can be improved with the sync detector on.  Shortwave reception is also weak
 and some AM image is detected in the lower shortwave bands and local FM shows up in the higher shortwave bands.An external antenna (not included) can maybe improve the shortwave reception if the images don't increase and come in stronger.FM reception is nice and tight with narrow signals allowing stations to come in clean on consecutive channels (every 2nd digit behind the point) How it will do in Europe where both odd and even fractions in the Mhz range are used( 88.0 ,88.1, 88.2 etc.) I'll find out when I get there .In some countries the spacing between stations is only 3 channels instead of 4. Audio cannot be changed by controls but the sound changes from crisp to soft with the wide-narrow signal switch and does provide a good audio range with a bit of bass coming through.Since it has the RDS and SD included in operation I decided to try it out but I think I need one of these AM boosting loop antennas that I see mentioned in some entrees on
 the site.If anyone out there can tell me how to make one or buy one somewhere please let me know. I haven't been able to make any new catches with this rig but with an antenna added on I might have a better chance. Thanks .Bill in BC