From: "Mike Bates" <mjbates@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 12:34 AM
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] Testing New SDR software

I have been trying out some new software on my QS1R SDR and have found the results to be quite good. I currently am running the receiver using several different software packages, including the SDRMAXII that comes with the QS1R. This evening I was using Winrad version 1.5 and had the occasion this evening to log on 1370 WSPD in Toledo OH @ 9:55PM CST this evening, 1/6, using a KIWA loop. Also heard CFRY on 920, on top in the null of semi local KDHL. Good but not exceptional catches.

I have not seen a lot here regarding SDR's, with the possible exception of some using the Perseus. I think that they are the future, as more and more companies are dropping production of their higher end receivers. RL Drake, Japan Radio Company, Yaesu, and Kenwood are prime examples. SDR's are lower in cost and provide the equivalent, or better performance of these older receivers. The added benefit is spectrum analysis, which works better than the scopes built into the stand alone ham rigs of recent years. You can see a split frequency station before you can hear it. Another benefit is spectrum recording and play back using the receiver software.

There is now a version of the Soft Rock series, which is a kit that sells for around $60.00 and covers from 180KHz to 3MHz. The down side is that you need a computer and a high quality sound card to run this, but computers these days are also lower in price than in days gone by. There is also a pre built receiver the Lazy Dog LD-1B which sells for about $275.00. Of course there are the direct sample SDR's that are more expensive such as the SDR IQ, Perseus, WinRadio Excalibur and the QS1R. These are still lower in cost than the Drake R8B was when it went out of production, and have top flight performance.

I would be interested to know if there are others using SDR's and what they think of them for MWDX, as well as tips for use.

Thanks  and
73,

Mike Bates KA0KLQ

Inver Grove Heights, MN