Re: [IRCA] TP seasonality

To add to Walt's comments....Asiatic TP DX is possible here on the shortest night of the year, if only for about 1/2 hour, and most likely in years of low solar activity; this was verified here in mid-80s using Beverage antennas near the coast, but in more recent years, have been heard occasionally in town with corner fed loops; weak signals though, and rapidly fading to somewhat later "down under" signals, also weak.

Otherwise, Asiatic TP DX generally starts in earnest here near the end of August, and continues at a good clip until maybe mid-October, when things start to fall apart. They recover somewhat in late January and February through mid-March, but not to the level and consistency of the early fall. These are observations concerning dawn at the receiver reception. During mid-winter, there can be fair openings during sunset at the transmitter throughout the band, and later, and occasional sunrise openings at the top end of the band to East Asia.

These are of course high latitude paths, but except for the geomagnetically quietest seasons, I suspect they translate to high latitude paths from Australians to those listening in the north center and east of the continent. So, I'd guess that Saul should listen for Aussies or Pacific Islands from late August onwards, maybe being most successful in early October? (but don't quit then; our mid-winter absorption on the coast may not affect all paths?) And not to say Asians are impossible, because last season in particular, they were occasionally heard in the east even without water paths to the north and west (Bruce Conti for example)

That leads to trans-polar paths vs. trans-Atlantic for Europe. Again, our best conditions down here tend to peak by mid-October; last seasons' Iran-1503 on the coast was in early November, but last season was exceptional. There can be a reprise in February and March, again, lower level. However, we can have good trans-polar conditions in mid-winter if conditions are quiet; not this season though, where carriers are mostly all there is. And of course, moving north to Haida Gwaii shows a whole different set of trans-polar conditions. Walt heard lots of middle east there in late December, when there wasn't a peep from them further south.

Back east, you hear TA's when we're lucky to have carriers out here, presumably because those are more trans-Atlantic signals you're hearing there? I'd say though that if we're having good trans-polar conditions here in the evening, it might make sense for easterners to look for Asians at their sunset.

Further south in central and east North America, Asiatics seem a bit more likely (cf Richard Allen in OK), but his conditions seem similar to ours (i.e. not good right now) , presumably because the path from Japan to OK is similar to the path from Japan to the northwest.

best wishes,

Nick