Re: [IRCA] 1400 Graveyard listening for the newbie

Re: [IRCA] 1400 Graveyard listening for the newbie

I am almost totally opposite as Steve - I DX domestics (US/Canada)
almost exclusively.  However I have never had the patience or touch to
DX the Graveyarders (1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490) with much
success.  Now I have heard some distant ones, VA, MN and FL for instance
but only a handful on each GY channel, including locals and semi-locals!
I used to DX using a radio's speaker only but after switching to
headphones and earbuds (thanks to the ULR craze), I still find it hard
to pick out ID's and such.

I may have mentioned a few weeks back hearing WOHI E. Liverpool Ohio on
1490.  It was like listening to a non-GY channel - I could understand
every song and the ID @ almost 300 miles!  That, for me, is the
exception to the rule.  What was even better was that WOHI was heard on
a Grundig S-350 using the speaker.  Wish they could all be like that!
Normally I catch an ID popping through the jumble.

At any rate, Steve, the GY channels can be a fun challenge.

Good Luck and 73,

Dave in Indy

Message: 2