[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 24-27, 2010

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 24-27, 2010

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

[It seems that log editors are not taking me up on this; unfortunately, I am not interested in rewriting my reports into imaginary timezones such as ``ELT``; like to report specifically what was heard in narrative as much as it takes but to the point, rather than condensed generic into one or two lines full of abbrs.; like to explain how I research and reach conclusions on IDs. Programming *matters* and I will critique it when I feel like it. Nor am I just trying to rack up station totals; in fact, I stopped counting sesquidecades ago. Thus anyone interested in my approach will not get to read it in the DX publications but only here in online fora where there are no artificial space- and paper-saving constraints. I only wish more of my fellow DX listeners could and would report what they hear in more depth, instead of being discouraged from doing so by strict format requirements for reporting. I would find that much more interesting reading. O, well ---
 Glenn]

** CANADA. 2749-SSB, Nov 26 at 1053 marine weather by YL with québecois accent, 1055 OM also in French but heavy English accent; 1057 OM in English mentions ``Coast Guard Radio`` and 2749 but can`t catch a location or call as signals fight heavy noise level; then calling ``All stations`` in English and French, but off at 1058 and nothing further heard by 1101. Let`s check Bill Hepburn`s info at:
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm#O%20ATL

Which shows 2749 is used by four stations on the Atlantic Coast and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, two of which are bilingual, VCN in Grindstone [Magdalen Islands] QC, but not scheduled until 1118, while the other one has a broadcast starting at 1040:
VAR-3, NS, Yarmouth-Fundy, 43 44 24, 66 07 19, EE/FF
This source does not mention mode, USB or LSB, and on the FRG-7 BFO it`s not obvious immediately.

Guess why I was tuning around here? Yep, HAARP, Alaska, but no sign of it on 2750. When active it could cause lots of QRM to the CCG stations (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. 1620, Nov 25 at 0729 tuneby I notice some Spanish, so check 5025 for //. Yes, it`s one of the R. Rebelde outlets to block WDHP USVI which is not doing exile programming anyway at this hour, if ever any more. First time I`ve noticed this; soon fades down as WTAW resumes dominance (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 870, Nov 26 at 1301 as I tune in, the low-key YL announcer is just IDing in Spanish as XETAR, La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara, Chihuahua. I was hearing this a lot in October when the timing was more propitious.

700, Nov 26 at 1305, having searched the MW band for Mexican NAs, didn`t find any, but no matter as XEETCH was just signing on in Indian language(s), by W&M mentioning calls and Etchojoa, Sonora several times, plus ``700 AM``. 1307 sign-on in Spanish also saying it`s an emisora cultural. WRTH gives slogan as La Voz de los Tres Rios, but I have not heard that; 5 kW daytimer (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 3160, haven`t checked for WPJK sign-on lately, Orangeburg SC, 2 x 1580, so standing by for it Nov 26 from before 1230: *1230:33 carrier on at S9+18, 1232 false-start as heard one word and more silence; 1234:12 canned sign-on and into Gospel Train music show infested with Autotunes, opening with train whistle tooting Q, so get out of the way.

WPJK is still signing on a semihour later than necessary since legal sunrise in November is 1200 UT. In December it becomes 1215, but likely to remain *1230v as WPJK seems fond of opening at 7:30 local clock time as it was doing during the first week of November, one semihour too early at 1130 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Nov 26 at 1301 YL in Spanish mentioning De Soto, Tejas several times, apparently plugging a religious service. That`s a suburb on the south side of Dallas, so must be KMNY, Hurst TX also in The Metroplex. Would have just upped from night power 890 watts to day power 50,000 as legal sunrise in Nov is 1300 UT; in Dec it will be 1330. Hardly sounded like 50 kW, as main lobe goes WSW and there`s a null toward us. Retains calls denoting previous financial format, so how would they possibly tie ``money`` into religion now? (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Nov 26 at 1225 UT, strong open carrier with fast SAH vs Spanish from south = XEEP, and English religion from NW/SE = WLNO. I figured it was KIJN, Farwell TX, and so it was, with sign on in Spanish (only?) at 1229 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENIG DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, Nov 26 at 1312 UT, with KTLR OKC nulled, I am hearing something in addition to remnants of WLS: 846 area code, religious, mentions KGGNam.com, Mortenson Broadcasting Co., 890-GGN, plugging Xmas in November promotion starting today.

NRC AM Log shows it`s KGGN, Gladstone MO, 960-watt daytimer in Kansas City area. FCC AM Query shows Nov sunrise is 1300 UT, Dec 1330; direxional cardioid with major lobe about 250 degrees, but plenty towards us. Website shows calls mean ``God`s Good News``, rather than ``Great Gospel Radio`` as in NRC AM Log. Then I find that AC 846 does not exist, so maybe they said 816 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP MW carrier search, Nov 26 at 1255 UT: not much, but detectable on 774, 1422, 1566 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TA carrier search UT Nov 27 at 0132-0140, on DX-398 in USB mode 9-kHz steps with slightly offtuned BFO, twice up and once down the band: 693, 783, 837, 909, 945, 1089, 1206, 1215, 1377, 1502, 1512, 1521, 1557, 1575 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Re previous report of Spanish on 1340: Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa confirms that KJMU Sand Springs OK is now in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###