Re: [IRCA] MW in South Africa

Barry,

Your list brings back fond memories of a wide open band when I was there in 1979. Cape Town's one local then was on 729. There were not as many African powerhouses as there seem to be now. On an all-night session, I heard as far west as WHO and as far north as Spain, a dozen Brazilians, numerous Carribbeans, several BBC frequencies, but other than one Cairo station, nothing Arabic at all. It was as if Table Mountain blocked everything to the east. Probably the most exciting catch was 1260 which was then VOA Rhodes which gave an ID at midnight after 90 seconds of Chuck Mangione. That one caught me totally off guard. I taped as many as I could and got some fascinating veries. I was using a Worcester loop and my big old Sony ICF 6700W (which still works and actually isn't too bad a receiver). Anyway, nice memories. Thanks for sharing what you heard.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 & ICF2010