[IRCA] DX This week

I haven't tried for TPs this week due to poor conditions. I don't think I missed out on much, judging from what others have reported..

Last weekend (10/22-24) Chuck, Tom Roslisberger and I went to Grayland for a two night DXpedition. Conditions weren't great but they weren't totally bad either. Definitely below average for a Grayland visit. Then again, a bad TP morning at Grayland is usually better than a good one at home so it was worth the trip.

We mostly used a 1200 foot northwest Beverage the first night. Unfortunately, someone shortened it to about 200 feet on Saturday, which we didn't discover until Sunday morning when we reeled it it. DX was definitely poorer the second night, but I think propagation was poorer to begin with (WWV said the K index was 4 on Saturday night)

Conditions favored Japan, Korea, and Taiwan quite a bit. The Chinese arrived late and were generally much weaker than normal. Alaskans weren't too bad the night of 10/22. A few southeast Asians managed to make it in too. Russians were pretty much missing in action on MW and LW. There was no sign of them on longwave when I checked.

The biggest highlight was Taiwan 711 quite good at times mixing with or atop the KBS station. Taiwan 1143 was also quite good at times, better than its // on 738. Several of the second and third tier NHK & KBS stations were doing reasonably well, too. For example, I had KBS and NHK mixing on 1224, KBS/NHK/CNR fighting it out on 1035, and the KBS station mixing with CRI on 1044.

A couple of Philippines stations were heard, most notably 1314 well after daylight arrived.

We also had a Chinese station on 657 overpowering North Korea for a few minutes, but we didn't hear an ID. It was airing a rather dry sounding monologue.

JOAK-594 was much weaker than normal on the morning of 10/23, especially by Grayland standards. I mention it because Gary was reporting it 100 miles inland with "legendary" signal strength at the time. I'm not sure what to make of that difference. Several other mainstays were much weaker than normal, including Russia-846, CNR-756, CNR-945, CNR-1035, Yanbian-1206, KBS-1170, and VOA-1575. On the other hand, JOUB-774 and JOBB-828 were like locals at times.

I've almost got a report together, which I'll be sending to Patrick this weekend.

Bruce