Re: [IRCA] Re; 1130 Interference

Patrick Martin wrote:
Scott,

Don't we have something in "International" laws to protect CKWX?

That's what I've been trying to explain. There's an international treaty signed by the US and Canada in 1984, formally known as the "Agreement Between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of Canada Relating to the AM Broadcasting Service in the Medium Frequency Band" and informally known as the "bilateral agreement."

According to that treaty (which has the force of law in both countries), CKWX is protected from *groundwave* interference on Canadian soil during daylight hours, and from both skywave and groundwave interference at night. KPWX puts essentially no groundwave signal into Canada, and they have measurements to prove that.

The treaty provides *no* protection to CKWX (or any other Canadian class A station) from skywave interference during critical hours, which is what's happening here.

It's possible that CKWX could work out some sort of arrangement with KPWX in private negotiations (like that WNYR/CFTR deal in the seventies I described in an earlier e-mail), but it doesn't appear to have much recourse where the laws are concerned.

It may not sound fair, but there are a lot of things in international broadcasting treaties that don't work out well for individual stations.