[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 2-4, 2010

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 2-4, 2010

** ALASKA. I was going to put this under UNIDENTIFIED, until researched: 2750, Oct 4 at 1214, strong signal and still but weaker at 1242 recheck: sweep and step tones, like you might hear from a MW station doing a proof; same thing over and over, from low to high pitches. What`s this? Previously as in DXLD 10-16:

``UNIDENTIFIED. 2750, 8 tones, each at increasingly higher pitches,
followed by ambulance siren like sound, then repeat. Heard 0930,and
rechecks 0940, 1000. Wanted to monitor, but found it too creepy and
irritating to do so. Sounded similar to testing tones used by phone
co. in the 60's. Very odd. Have heard before, usually in the dead of
night. I believe Glenn Hauser has reported some strange stuff on this
freq. also, but a different pattern. 4/14, 73 and Good Listening !
(Rick Barton, Phoenix, Arizona, (at the Sun City Shack), Hammarlund
HQ-180A, 70' l.w. strung out to Saguaro in backyard, ABDX via DXLD)``

See also DXLD 8-129, under ALASKA for HAARP reports on this frequency (mention of N Korea there erroneous as that was and is on 2850)
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld8129.txt

UDXF posts of Dec 11, 2008 must have been the same thing, when tests from HAARP had been publicized:

``At 0615 utc "they" seem to be on 2750 with a wide signal taking up almost 100 khz with multiple swept frequencies making a nice pattern on the Perseus screen. Don VE6JY [Moman] near Edmonton Alberta.``

``Concur: 0630Z up to S8 on 2750 (and wider). Classic HAARP rising tones. I'm south of Vancouver, and north of Seattle. Brendan WA7HL [Wahl] Bellingham Wash.``

I thought what I was hearing today after sunrise, would unlikely be all the way from Alaska with such a good signal, especially if it`s aimed straight up; altho 2850 KCBS was also audible, and, guess what, the great circle path from Korea North passes right over Alaska, very close to Gakona! So presumably from the above it really was HAARP. However, it was certainly not taking up 100 kHz, just normal bandwidth (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. 2850, KCBS with soprano praising Kim (what else?), Oct 2 at 1242, S9+15; the radio war with het on 3480 also audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. 2850, Oct 4 at 1242, KCBS with harmonious vocal music, from the workers` paradise, now registering S9+15, better than it was a semihour earlier (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 740, KRMG Tulsa used to carry Dr Dean Edell, one of few nationally syndicated commercial talk shows worth listening to, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, but now it`s something else, Oct 3 at 2140 UT.

They still have some other non-rightwingnut shows. Weekend program schedule is here: http://krmg.com/inside/krmgprogrambyhour.html
but I can`t find a full weekday schedule. They used to run Jim Bohannon replays after local midnight, but can`t confirm that by looking at the website (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. On an expedition a few miles north of Enid, just beyond the Grand National Gun Club firing range, to release a trapped squirrel banned from our pecan trees, hoping he can still find his mate trapped and released there last week, and not be killed by trigger-happy gun nuts after all our trouble, I took the opportunity to do a MW bandscan, altho I did not drive far enough down a dirt road to escape all the line noise.

Notable was a big roar on 1610, as heard recently even dentro-Enid, presumably the Great Salt Plains State Park TIS which used to relay Enid NWS, now totally out of whack, but I am sure they have not even noticed it at park HQ.

1430, the frequency occupied by two Oklahomans, KALV Alva, but with a null toward KTBZ Tulsa and also Enid, at 2155 Oct 3 nevertheless had KALV dominating, with Beatles`` ``Gimme Rock `n` Roll Music``. As I tuned on up, found // music on 1450, i.e. KGFF Shawnee, as both of them have oldies format while both frequency-competitors, 1450 being KSIW Woodward, are sportive (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, KGGF Coffeyville KS, Sunday Oct 3 at 2120 UT, audio cuts on and off a few times per second; impossible to tell what`s going on. At 2150 check, I caught the word ``Braves``, so seems to be about baseball.

Totally unlistenable and no one is minding the store. This is the same station that I also caught this summer during an entire baseball game with open carrier except for local commercial breaks!

This was on my expedition north of Enid; see OKLAHOMA. At the early hour of 2140 UT Oct 3, KXTR-1660 Kansas City was audible with opera; 1680 had a fast SAH between two very weak X-banders; traces of something on 600, CO or IA; 840 C&W music from NE; 870 Spanish from KFJZ, Metroplex but also a SAH, could it be WWL far beyond? Or low-powers in NE CO, NW MO.

1090, Oct 3 at 2152 UT, prayer with same refrain every few sex by another voice, ``We beseech you, hear us``. The fourth word was hard to understand; at first I thought it was ``fear``, but unlikely considering the context. I figured this would be KEXS Excelsior Springs MO, 8 kW EWTN affiliate, but if so it was not // to another EWTN, 1360, KAHS, El Dorado KS.

Wait a minute! The NRC AM Log 2010-2011,
http://www.nrcdxas.org/catalog/books/index1.html
shows KAHS has the same address in Excelsior Springs as KEXS. Apparently both operate out of there, but maybe deliberately differently programmed as 1360 slogan is listed as ``Holy Spirit Radio`` and 1090 as ``Catholic Talk``.

BTW, not to be outdone, I would like to take this opportunity to beseech everyone to hear me, on WORLD OF RADIO, http://www.worldofradio.com/radioskd.html
or http://www.worldofradio.com/audiomid.html
No imagination is required.

At this removal from local KCRC 1390, barely 15 km away, 1370 again became audible with baseball talk, no doubt KGNO Dodge City KS, which in Enid must be blown away by KCRC`s desensitization. I originally did not consider this, since 20 kHz on the other side, 1410 Wichita makes it thru routinely, but it does have a much stronger signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Eastern North American MW DXers have been reporting lots of trans-Atlantic catches lately, so I do a complete bandscan at 0208-0225 UT Oct 3, DX-398 only with internal antenna, on AC, stepping 9 kHz with BFO slightly mistuned to detect carriers, same as I have been doing in the morning for trans-Pacifix.

I did it twice, once set on LSB and once set on USB, as that makes a difference in audibility when you are too close to 10-kHz channels. Lots of carriers detected, but none strong enough with that equipment to pull audio, not in the order heard:

531, 549, 621, 639, 666, 675, 693, 711, 747, 864=vs KOA IBOC, 873, 909, 972, 999, 1017, 1044, 1071, 1089, 1143, 1152, 1206, 1215, 1251, 1296, 1305, 1314, 1377, 1413, 1422, 1521, 1557.

A few of them 1 kHz away from 10 kHz channels were more detectable in AM mode, just hearing the het against the NAm stations. I also had a strange carrier on 1083, but suspect local/internal origin as could not get a null on it. At times a few of them peaked to better strength than the others: 909, 1089, 1206. All this should motivate me to employ better antennas and receiver? Not yet; maybe it will someone else in deep North America (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1590, now it`s this frequency with an unexplained tone test, Oct 3 at 0624 UT. I made sure the tone carriers were on both sides, 1589 and 1591, so it`s not an off-frequency, het (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)