Re: [IRCA] Strong Chinese on 657 kHz

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your comments on the 657-China reception.

Actually, many of the high-band AM loggings that you report from Seattle
(with your K9AY antenna) never make it to audio here in Puyallup at my
location,  and the same effect is noticed even with Guy Atkins' high-band AM
loggings  only about 4 miles SE of here. On the other hand, I can occasionally
receive  many low-band Asians that Guy has no trace of, even when we listen at
 the same time, on the same frequency.

I think the reason for the disparity is related to the unusual 9'  box
loop's reception pattern, in which the highest "Q" is obtained on the  lowest
tuned frequencies. This creates a situation where the giant 9' loop is  a real
overachiever from 531 kHz to about 891 kHz, about  equivalent to other
high-gain antennas on the middle frequencies, and maybe  less impressive on the
upper-band.  One example was the reception of  the 594-KBS1 station here
last December, which apparently Patrick (and  the Grayland DXers) had never yet
come across.

73, Gary

In a message dated 9/18/2010 10:53:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,