Re: [IRCA] Cable connectors

On Monday, September 06, 2010 02:36:01 pm Chuck Hutton wrote:
> I liked your explanation except for the part below. Considering the choke
> impedance to be part of a voltage divider along with the ground
> resistance, you surely need a choke with at least several thousand Ohms of
> impedance. With a poor ground connection (sandy soil), you can need even
> more. I won't bore everyone with the explanation.
>
> Bottom line: I don't think you can ever get even close to that with the
> over-the-cable chokes. I can recommend only the chokes made with mini-coax
> and high permeability (at least 2000) material.

Ground isn't a part of the issue with common-mode currents on the coaxial
cable's outer shield surface. This isn't a matching transformer, or other
circuit that may have a connection to the local ground. The choke impedance
places itself in series with the currents flowing on the outer surface of the
coaxial cable's shield surface. There is no ground connection.

Using #31 core material, if you stacked maybe 5 or 6 toroid cores, and
assuming that you wound the feedline through the cores so as to minimize
capacitance coupling between turns, i.e. very large loops not wound tight on
the cores surface and separating the turns radially from each other, you can
get in the neighborhood of 3k to 4k of series impedance to common mode
currents on the coax shield at 1 MHz with 7 or 8 turns or so. That'll drop as
you approach the bottom of the mediumwave band and be worse at longwave. I
haven't played with other core materials that might work better there. But you
do have good impedance values up to 10 MHz or so. So it's helpful on the
tropical bands too. If you need better high frequency performance above 10
MHz, adding more cores and dropping the number of turns is the way to go. But
the low frequency performance suffers then. Probably 7 cores and maybe 3 turns
might be a good starting point for that. The impedance of a choke core, i.e.
the core and one turn, is multiplied by the square of the turns ratio. If you
need more impedance, wind more turns. But you have to balance that against
loss at the higher end of the frequency range because of the various capacity
coupling effects on the choke design, most of which are dependent on the
winding style  and cable used too.

If you have an impedance bridge testing the various configurations and surplus
cores and testing stacked cores and various winding ideas and wiring is worth
doing.

And don't forget that you can series up these chokes along the ends of the
cable, and the impedances will add. (series inductive and capacitive
reactances, because they are of opposite sign cancel each other), but if you
design with this in mind you can still have good wideband performance. For
example to get the performance you want you might need one choke to deal with
longwave and another for mediumwave through the tropical bands. Just wind 2
separate chokes designed for the frequencies you need and separate them at
each end of the cable a little. You'd have 2 chokes at each end of the
feedline.

Same goes for tubular cores. These can be series placed to increase the
impedance. Rarely is one core going to be enough at mediumwave. But again core
material is important here. If you are using #31 material, you might see
around 1k of series impedance at 1 MHz from 40 1/2-inch long tight fitting
beads. Chuck makes an excellent point, it takes a lot more ferrite material in
tubular form to get usable impedance than it does when winding turns through a
toroidal ferrite core.

The good thing is that if you are testing the chokes with the feedline
connected to a shielded dummy load, you'll know with testing how things are
going. Your station receiver will be plenty of tool to tell you how it's
going. Having an impedance bridge is fun, but in the end, it's how it works in
place that matters. And a little cutting and trying goes a long way here.
Sweep the receiver across the range of frequencies of interest when signals
should be there and see what you do or don't hear leaking in.

One other point is that you can place turns of Ethernet cable through toroid
cores too, creating chokes to reduce the leakage of crud from an Ethernet
device like a cable modem or DSL router, an Ethernet switch, or a wireless
access point. I actually think this works better than using shielded CAT
cable, as the enclosures and connectors (RJ-45) are not designed to be RF
tight anyway. And remember the power cords of these devices too. Anything
leaving the device can act as a radiating antenna. But again, you need to have
enough impedance in the choke you are placing over the cable at the frequency
you are trying to suppress, to make the thing work.

The best thing is just to start somewhere and see what happens. Experiment
with several configurations and work your way to the desired level of
suppression that you need.

Rick Kunath