Re: [IRCA] The 1580 Spanish mystery continues

Re: [IRCA] The 1580 Spanish mystery continues

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. 1580: following Saturday July 31 capture between 13 and 14 UT of ``La Zona`` in Spanish, I tried equally hard to hear it on Sunday August 1 during the same hour: no sign of Spanish talk or Mexican music. This is *very* strange --- as if the Spanish station is on the air only on Saturday mornings.

What I did hear, under the open carrier from KOKB Blackwell OK: 1240 UT, only English station(s). 1300 KHGG Van Buren-Ft Smith AR dominant with ID. 1312 Fox Sports Radio call-in with 877 number, presumably KHGG mixing with something else in English; Auto-Zone ad. 1327, still no Spanish. 1330, Ft Smith cuts away from sports for gospel huxter, ``Searching the Scriptures``, I think. Still some CCI, probably KREL Colorado, no Spanish. 1347 preacher mixing with some music, also religious? No Spanish, nor by 1400.

As for my previous comment about 1580 applications in New Mexico, on the NRC-AM list, tnx to Evan R. Newlon who replied, ``Glenn, I'm in Albuquerque - 1580 is silent here, 1900Z, 1 pm MDT. You are right, there used to be a station on 1580, I don't know where it went. I should be able to hear the station if it is in Santa Fe, but frequency is inactive right now. WB5HAM, Evan``.

And to Doug Smith, W9WI, who replied: ``The 1580 station in Albuquerque moved to 1600 in February 2000 (as Glenn alludes to). There is one open application for 1580 in Santa Fe (another one has been marked "Ineligible", haven't seen that before. I presume that means the FCC determined the applicant was not eligible to hold a broadcast license -- not a citizen? An application for 1580 in Roswell, NM has been dismissed.)`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)