Re: [IRCA] DXpedition to Gearheart, OR - Day 1

Re: [IRCA] DXpedition to Gearheart, OR - Day 1

Hi Kevin,

Your Gearheart DU-DXing report is a fine job under difficult conditions,
and you certainly did the best you could under the circumstances. It's always
 a challenge to set up a DX listening station on an unknown ocean beach in
the darkness, especially when the weather is not cooperating.

I'm sorry that my own recent Oregon DXpedition report wasn't ready prior to
 your trip, but you seem to have had no problem finding lots of DXing
targets anyway. After having apparently stumbled upon a hot spot for South
Pacific DX in Lincoln City, I received about 10 new DU stations  that neither
John B. or I had ever heard a trace of on Ultralight gear at  Grayland,
despite John's use of Wellbrook antenna arrays during multiple trips.  Some of
these new DU stations had very potent signals in Lincoln City, and  with the
assistance of Chuck, Bruce, Guy and Patrick (all having far more  DU-DXing
experience than me), I've been trying to sort them out prior to the  DXpedition
report.

Kevin, Highway 101 near Cannon Beach has a couple of small state parks on
top of high cliffs overlooking the ocean, with sweeping views of the Pacific
 from the high elevation. If you have any chance to set up your Ultralight
listening station in one of those spots, you may enjoy a very potent South
Pacific signal boost. But you've done quite well already while DXing in
Gearheart, and I'm happy that you and Patrick could get together for  supper.
Enjoy the DX tomorrow, and thanks again for your DU-DXing  report!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 7/29/2010 7:50:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,