Re: [IRCA] Article of interest

I don't expect the tenfold power increases to happen.

For one thing, I don't think it would be possible for stations to raise power to 500kw (or some other tenfold increase) near the Canadian and Mexican borders without major pattern changes. Most Vancouver & Victoria stations, for example, are 10-20 kHz from Seattle area stations and would need to be afforded their current protection levels.

Add to that the economics of huge power increases. Some stations like KJR and KRKO have boosted power to 50 kw, but it doesn't come cheaply. I would expect the jump from 50 to 500 kw to be rather pricey when you factor in the tower upgrades, new transmitter, new power feed, etc to handle the higher power, plus the higher electrical bill. Would the increased power outputs ever pay back through increased listenership, if the station could actually afford to make the upgrade? I can see a chaotic situation developing where stations that don't boost power lose coverage because of neighboring stations that do.

Not to mention the impact on people who live near transmitter sites, and concerns (real or imagined) about r.f. exposure and effects on electronic devices in their homes.

Bruce

cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Re: An increase in power for AM stations to overcome digital noise created by computers,cable,etc. (with link to report to FCC.
I am not sure if that is funny... or ironic... or both.

Isn't that like increases the speed limits on highways because of traffic congestion?

Maybe what we need to do is stop the tide of poorly made
electronics from arriving on our shores.

--
__