[IRCA] Big Daytime MWDX Opening

** U S A. The afternoon of April 20 I witnessed an extremely unusual daytime MW DX opening, which brought in numerous stations from Colorado and Wyoming, mainly from Denver and the Front Range, Pueblo to Fort Collins and Greeley but also as far as Grand Junxion and Casper, Wyoming, over a megameter away. And it turned out, also from Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota!

After lunch at a restaurant in west Enid, I got in the car and checked the MW band at 1954 UT. Before I went in earlier in the hour, I had noticed a lot of line noise on the top end of the band, but not at the low end, so I started tuning up, and quickly found a big signal on 600 kHz, which is normally vacant here in the daytime.

I soon moved to another parking lot I knew to be low-noise, and spent most of the next two hours DXing this phenomenon on the caradio, with of course non-direxional whip on the hood. I wished I could have tipped off the lists about this opening, but I don`t have any mobile internet access. I wonder if anyone else got in on it?

This opening brought in many Denver and vicinity stations with very strong signals, better than ever accomplished at `low noon` around winter solstice when there is some residual skywave.

This must have been some form of skywave, unless there is a means for groundwave to be greatly and suddenly enhanced. But surely not groundwave under any circumstances, all the way from Grand Junxion on the far side of the Rockies, or from Casper in the middle of Wyoming.

670 Denver is however a regular daytime groundwave catch here across the plains, and I recently also reported 650 Cheyenne one morning. Surface weather surely could not have such an extreme effect, but I note that a cold front was approaching us from Colorado.

What could have caused this? A few hours earlier, Space Shuttle STS 131 crossed the area as it was approaching Cape Cañaveral for landing. NASA says the track entered North America around Vancouver BC, then across the ``Midwest``, Arkansas, Mississippi. Could it have caused some long-lingering ionization as it went thru the E-layer? Sporadic space-shuttle skip? SSSS, a new propagation mode? No chance of that after the upcoming finale of STS.

I see from DX Sherlock and TV-FM Skip Log that there were also sporadic E openings into VHF around mid-day between FL and Mexico and later between FL and Dominican Republic, somewhat unusual this time of year.

This was a selective opening. Nothing unusual from closer western Kansas, and I still suspect KGNO 1370 Dodge City is off the air. No sign of anything from New Mexico; Utah might have made it on 1160 if it were not for IBOC from KFAQ 1170 Tulsa. Many additional frequencies thruout the band had increased levels of interference to the normally audible weak groundwave signals.

Here are all the logs rearranged into frequency order. All times UT; if you must, subtract 7 hours for MST, 6 for MDT/CST, 5 for CDT/EST, 4 for EDT, a.k.a. ``ELT``; in any event, I starting logging only 82 minutes after local mean noon at 1832 UT, more than 5 hours before sunset, and no telling how much earlier before that the opening started.

560, since I was getting so many other Denver-area stations, sought KLZ at 2050, but something just barely audible, and just as easily could be marginal KWTO MO. Reason: KLZ is tightly direxional N-S.

590, at 1955, normally dominant groundwave KXSP Omaha had some CCI, just after I heard 600 from CO, so assumed KCSJ Pueblo; by 2051, just Omaha sports dominant, so never got a definite ID on this one. I must say that I have been noting something under Omaha several daytimes lately, figured KLBJ Austin most likely.

600, at 1954 ad for Champion Windows on west I-25 frontage road, political ad for Elite Hassan (sounds like), candidate for Colorado State Treasurer, used car dealer in Fort Collins/Greeley. It`s KCOL Wellington, loud and clear, never heard here in the daytime before. My first log in this opening, on a frequency normally vacant daytime, and many more to come. I`ll quote the City of License, especially appropriate for KCOL! Still in at 2051.

630, at 1955, I can tell there is some station here, underneath all the double whammy from IBOC 620 KMKI TX and 640 WWLS OK. Has to be KHOW Denver, and would surely have been clear without the IBOC. Normally nothing has a chance on 630 here in the daytime vs IBOC x 2.

650, at 1955, I can also tell there is a station here under the WWLS 640 IBOC, no doubt KGAB Cheyenne WY.

670, at 1956 and thruout, KLTT Commerce City CO, the one Colorado station which is a daytime groundwave regular. Stronger than usual, and presumably getting a skywave boost.

710, looking for KNUS Denver, but no sign of it versus the usual KGNC/KCMO mix. Reason: KNUS is tightly direxional NE/SW and we are in a deep null here.

760, at 1956, Kansas City has CCI (co-channel interference). Returned to it at 2015, in Thom Hartmann Program, ``AM 760, Colorado`s Progressive Talk, am760.net``. L&C signal of KKZN Thornton; now way over Kansas City, normally dominant daytimes. Wish it did not take an extraordinary DX opening to audiblize Thom`s weekday show anywhere on my Okie dial. But no time to stop and listen now!

810, normally occupied only by WHB Kansas City, but avoided here because of splash from OKC 800: at 2038, CCI between sports and some other talk station. KLVZ Brighton CO, in Denver area? except it`s supposed to be Spanish religion and direxional to the SW, null toward OK. At 2052, ``Sports Radio 8-10`` slightly under other talker, and the former then mentioned Overland Park, so that`s WHB. The CCI was discussing Haiti in English. At 2104, ABC news cutaway, local ad for something in Northern Hills. Then Derry Brownfield Show (which is also on WWCR), 1-800-973-3739, and disclaimer by ``KBHB, Five-State Radio``, i.e. Sturgis SD in the SW corner full of bikers. Make that Six! 627 miles.

830, at 1957, Family News in Focus, Today`s Lighthouse Report. Religious format. At first not sure of identity and I don`t have references with me; all researched after the fact. At 2016, plug Route66life.com and National Day of Prayer, May 6 (o yeah?). Mentions Intentional Living, i.e. same as 1200 KFNW, and Dr. Randy show, over CCI which must be WCCO. At 2054, the two stations are almost equal level, financial/religious talk atop WCCO ID in passing. 2147, ad for a candy shop in downtown Casper! So it`s KUYO WY, which is also on the affiliate list for Intentional Living at this hour. Also plug again for route66life.com now inbooming without WCCO. 632 miles to Casper.

830, at 2054, WCCO ID in passing under KUYO Wyoming. Just hearing WCCO itself in the daytime would be remarkable enough this time of year. At 2100 the CBS News timebong was at least 20 seconds late!

850, at 1957, Rush loud & clear over Spanish from TX. No need to wait for an ID from KOA! And its IBOC severely QRMs KKOW-860 KS, normally a big clear daytime groundwave signal here. KOA still inbooming at 2107.

910, at 1958, trying to get something recognizable out of KPOF Denver, but not successful now or later vs the OK and TX stations. Even tho KPOF is non-direxional, an heritage station. It originally meant Pillar Of Fire, some Biblical myth, but now it means Point Of Faith, trying to be more oecumenical?

990, at 1959, weak CCI, a frequency to be checked later. At 2019 a mix with SAH, but can make out some South Asian music. Is that now the format of KRKS Denver instead of religion in English? More South Asian music, but at 2058 ID in Amerenglish for Farmersville-DFW, i.e. KFCD, one of the frequencies hijacked from Wichita Falls to The Metroplex; but KFCD is supposed to be Spanish religion, and I`m not sure which one the ID goes with. I don`t see anything Ethnic, other than Spanish on this frequency anywhere in the US per the NRC AM Log 2009-2010, so a mystery. Any help? I have already spent more time compiling this report than axually logging the DX, and don`t have the time to look for all the updates to the Log.

1030, at 1959-2000, despite ACI splash from KOKP-1020 OK, ID as ``KTWO, Casper, the only way to stay informed, with Fox News,`` etc.
(I beg to differ. That is the only way to stay MISinformed.) Big signal from another station normally impossible daytime. Obliterates whatever bit makes it on groundwave from Garden City KS. 2022, Hannity L&C via KTWO. Still in at 2154 as I have to stop monitoring, 3 hours and 16 minutes before local sunset in Enid. 632 miles.

1040, at 2023, talk show seems about nutrition. Probably KCBR Monument CO, axually religious. 2040, religious talk show. Colorado Springs market.

1060, at 2001, loud & clear news, must be KRCN Longmont CO again. I find that the noise level at the first parking lot is getting too severe above 1000 kHz so I quickly drive to the quiet one in the next couple minutes.

1090, at 2003, Spanish music. 2024 ad for McDonald`s in Spanish, i.e. KMXA Aurora CO. Has IBOC noise on 1090, and there is also IBOC noise on 1080 vs KRLD, as these two stations degrade each other. 2024 ad for somethings sounding like Puma and Eclipse, mentioned Denver, and ``María 10-90 AM, Siempre Romántica``. Which Mary is it named for? Surely not the BVM with a format like that.

1100, at 2002, Fox News loud & clear, ad for AlliedBank.com mentioning ``the Western Slope`` which is the local geographical referent for Grand Junxion CO and vicinity. At 2006, ID as ``Talk Radio AM 1100, The Splash`` -- not sure of last word. It`s 50 kW KNZZ. Into Sean Hannity crap. Most of the signals are quite steady. This one starts to fade down gradually. But still L&C at 2111. 610 miles.

1170, while local KFAQ Tulsa trashes 1160 and 1180 with IBOC, squashing any chance of KSL during this opening, at 2112 while KFAQ is in local relatively calm talk, I can make out weak CCI on 1170 itself, KJJD Windsor CO most likely.

1190 at 2114, gab about electronic music between DJ and guest, really laid back; in fact, we were to ``sit back and space out`` as the music started. Rather eclectic show, at 2122 ``Good Vibrations`` by Beach Boys, outro by same DJ, 2125 KVCU ID in passing. CCI on 1190 from the KS and TX stations at least, but KVCU more or less dominant for a while. This is the failing commercial AM station which was acquired for the students at UC Boulder.

1200, at 2008 talk show, apparently financial, 888-888-1717. That Googles to Intentional Living out of Tucson and website http://www.theintentionallife.com/stationtime.asp shows the only 1200 station is KFNW West Fargo ND, time chex too at 3:06 pm CDT. 726 miles. Best distance in the opening.

1210, at 2026, CCI with talk show vs. KGYN Guymon OK`s C&W, which is normally the one heard on daytime groundwave. Most likely KHAT Laramie WY, ESPN affiliate. Yes, net fits, at 2043 ID as ESPN Radio, now over KGYN, and SAH of slightly over 2 Hz.

1300, at 2027, KAKC Tulsa has CCI, one of which with very distorted modulation. Might be selective skywave/groundwave self-QRM from one station. At 2028, ESPN is atop, i.e. KAKC. Suspect the other is KCSF Colorado Springs, supposed to be C&W, but did not catch such music in further tunebies.

1310, at 2009, Dr Laura. Frequency is normally vacant or nearly so daytime, the TX and KS stations not making it groundwavely. So KFKA Greeley CO. At 2030 break in Laura for Fox News Radio, then ``News-talk 13-10, KFKA`` ID.

1320, at 2009, KCLI OK which is // KNSS 1330 KS, has CCI and SAH. At 2032, KCLI with News9 (KWTV OKC) plug, and lo het over CCI. At 2046 this frequency has Sean Hannity x 2, a reverb apart. Only other station fitting in the DX area is KOLT Scottsbluff NE, per listings on the Hannity website.

1350, at 2032, ad for Pueblo, and slogan ``Homer 13-50``, i.e. KDZA CO, and slogan chex with NRC AM Log. Still in at 2107. Assume refers to baseball, not Simpson.

1530, at 2012, singing ID as I tune in for ``15-30, KCMN``, soul music. I.e. Colorado Springs, NRC-AM Log listed with nostalgia. Also IBOC noise on 1540, and that fits for KCMN in this listing: http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/station-list.html

1600, at 2013, SAH of almost 1 Hz, one side presumably semilocal KUSH Cushing OK and by now naturally I suspect the other is CO, KEPN Lakewood. No audible het from KMDO Fort Scott KS, nor any sign now of Vietnamese from KRVA The Metroplex TX.

1690, at 2014, typical Disney music loud & clear, // 1560 KOCY OKC, i.e. KDDZ Arvada CO. A bit weaker at 2049. Nothing else on X-band, but might have had 1630 WY and 1650 CO were it not for splash from my local KFXY-1640 gospel music. Note that this opening affected the entire MW band. KDDZ still in at 2107.

That`s it. My method of reporting may not fit the format of logs in DXN and DXM, but I hope some editors feel this info is worthy of publication, perhaps as a special feature, and further discussion (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)