Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:33:52 -0700
From: Walter Salmaniw <salmaniw@xxxxxxx>
To: IRCA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] OT:  BPL

Perhaps not exactly on topic, but of concern to all of us who listen to
radio.  I was at my local Costco the other day, killing some time before
my wife was finished.  I noted a home internet package, using your own
electrical wiring to distribute internet. Seems to me to be a home
version of the dreaded BPL which doesn't appear to be going anywhere.
Anyway, the packaging claimed that it passed Part 15 FCC Guidelines, but
upon further investigation, the box clearly states that it uses "2 to 28
MHz".  Ouch!!!  Even a few milliwatts of power within a few homes around
will be more than enough, I would think, to spoil my attempts at DXing.
I sure hope they sell too many, as most people these days buy a good
wireless router for the same or less than the cost of this beast.  I
hope they sell none, and ship them all back to wherever they were made!
Anyone out there have the nerve to try it themselves?  Comments?
.....Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC