Re: [IRCA] John Bryant's Memorial Postings .................

Re: [IRCA] John Bryant's Memorial Postings .................

Glad to see such a great memorial for such a great man, a friend to all, and one of the greatest DXers ever to grace the face of this Earth. John was talented in every aspect of the hobby, from hardware to software as well as reception of very difficult stations. His encyclopedic knowledge of stations and their programming helped him to milk the best DX from good cx.

I've had the pleasure of meeting John and he also was accomplished in non-DX arenas. I can honestly say that Dr. Bryant was one of the smartest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Today, I didn't get to read my emails until it was nearly lunch time and after reading about John's most unfortunate passing and some of the many tributes to him, I staggered off the trading floor with tears in my eyes. I was so overcome with shock and grief that I had a difficult time functioning for the remainder of the afternoon.

Nearly a decade ago, I made some EZNEC mods to a ham antenna design by the late K6SE. My small version had a fine cardioid pattern with good back nulls and John wrote up a nice article discussing his tests of my design and a larger varient and named it the KAZ antenna. These Delta Flags are still in use by many today and also serve as elements for some high performance arrays.

John was also a driving force behind the UltraLite DXing boom and in earlier this century he was a major contributor to the Corozon DX Group which specializes in Mexican AM DX.

I have John's old mod 2010 here as well as a couple of transformers made by him. Every time I use them, I will miss him greatly.

I take heart in the fact that in heaven there is no IBOC.

RIP my friend .. 73 KAZ