[IRCA] John Bryant

Nick Hall-Patch called me moments after I got home from work about the terrible news about John.  John Bryant was a very dear friend for over 20 years.  My family had visited the Bryants' on Orcas Is. on a number of occasions, and John even had the chance to come up to my cottage on Haida Gwaii, in northern B.C.  John had a true gift as a teacher and was always wearing that hat during the many Grayland, WA DXpeditions that we both attended.  The Saturday afternoon Show and Tell sessions were always a highlight of a Grayland weekend.  They were organized by John who obviously used his many years as a professor to keep us on time and relevant to the hobby!  He was also an extremely prolific writer, both in the hobby, and about just about anything else that he felt that we'd be interested in hearing about! I remember fondly his ongoing pictorial dialogue during the construction phase of Linda and John's dream home on Orcas Island, or his travelogues during their twice yearly drives between Stillwater and Orcas Is.  I bet that I printed just about everything he wrote about the hobby as he was always a cutting edge DXer, and had a wonderful gift of explaining the very complex in a way that non-electronic savvy individuals such as myself good easily understand.  He was an early adopter of new technology and was one of the original Premium-receiver list members, acquiring the venerable Rockwell-Collins HF-2050.  He was also one to quickly move on when newer technologies appeared.  His most recent receiver was the WinRadio 313e, although he was sure very interested in the Perseus SDR. Anyone even remotely interested in radio and DXing would without doubt have read some of his numerous treatises.  I can't think of another enthusiast that wrote as much high quality information as did John.  He leaves a HUGE void in this respect alone.

John and Linda were planning to move permanently to Orcas this year, and had promised to come to Victoria for a visit this summer.  I was looking forward to having my dear friends living just across the water 12 months of the year, and seeing each other more often.  Life can change in a heartbeat, and John has been taken from us far too soon.  John, you'll be busy on some DX related project or other in Heaven.  I know you will!  Linda, I am SO, SO sorry.  John will never be forgotten.  R.I.P, my friend.....Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC