[IRCA] Kansas City pipeline minus KXTR; harmonics; Disney, et al.

[IRCA] Kansas City pipeline minus KXTR; harmonics; Disney, et al.

All times and dates strictly UT

** COLOMBIA [and non]. Tnx to Jim Evans tip from Tennessee on WORLD OF RADIO 1497, I made a point of looking for the harmonic on 2980, which he heard at 0647 Jan 26. Yes, Jan 29 at 0611 definitely something on 2980.0, very weak music vs QRN level now including lite T-storming close enough to propagate but not nearby. Still just barely audible at 0630, never heard anything but music.

He had an ID at 0650 for R. Vida Nueva. Will keep trying. WRTH 2010 says it`s HJAY, Barranquilla with 5 kW on 1490, slogan ``te acerca a Dios``, so the music should be nothing but religious. It had also been reported months ago, but not lately.

I`m sure that the other active MW harmonic, R. San Carlos, Costa Rica, 2859.8 would be much stronger if they would only stay on the air past 0200v.

The harmonic on 2980 making it all the way from Colombia speaks well for the technical standards of the hundreds of US stations on 1490. Decades ago, one could depend on there being a few harmonics audible at any given time on 2 x graveyard frequencies, 2460, 2480, 2680, 2800, 2900, 2980, and the probabilities are still highest on those channels (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also USA: 4050

** U S A. Having heard the harmonic on 2980 from Colombia, q.v., I was motivated to look again for the third harmonic of KWMO, 1350, ``The Mouth``, Washington MO on 4050, Jan 29 at 0616: yes, intermittent bits of US talk in English, but mostly ute QRM. Since there was any signal at all from presumed KWMO, probably another instance of running day facilities at night. Still no Truth from Guatemala on 4052.5 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 4050, looking again for the KWMO third harmonic from Washington, MO, Jan 30 at 0606 UT, traces of country music, a bit better at 0614 with YL DJ talking about who would sing the NA at the Superbowl. Just barely audible tho S-meter displayed S9; trouble is, the noise level on a clear frequency was S8. 0621 more country music peaking.

This matches the format when I heard them some weeks ago with a definite ID, but none this time. As for ``The Mouth`` slogan I mentioned yesterday, that has not been heard but listed in the NRC AM Log 2009-2010, when they had a talk format, probably outdated now.

Day power is 500 watts, night power 84 watts on fundamental 1350. Compared to inbooming AM hams on 80 meters as far away as New England, who could not be running more than 1000 watts, I could now believe the extremely weak KWMO signal on 4050 is really just a fraxion of the night power, not necessarily the day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Driving around Enid Jan 28 near low noon, which is always 1832 UT, still some X-band daytime skywave DX tho the sun is zenithing higher every day as spring oncomes. (Snow did not start until 2100 Jan 28; plenty snow into midday Jan 29 but no significant icing or power outages here unlike further south in OK.) Tuning around the X-band in the daytime is always interesting as propagation conditions vary widely.

A music station weakly on 1690 around 1815 UT, audible when propagation peaks matched increasingly rare low-noise spots in the city. And again at 1912 when a Radio Disney ID made it. Therefore it can only be KDDZ in Arvada CO as the only dizzy outlet on frequency, and the only other station normally heard here on 1690 is talker WVON in the Chicago area. Denver`s other X-bander, Spanish KBJD 1650, might have accompanied KDDZ if it were not for splash from our local KFXY-1640. No other significant skywave signals on X-band during this hour, not even KXTR-1660 Kansas City KS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1660, not a sign of classical KXTR Kansas City, Feb 1. Home page http://www.kxtr.com/pages/1447847.php? which is what you get if you merely enter www.kxtr.com, does not have any announcement about antenna work, as it did for some weeks in December, January, that it would be off the air weekdays, but it must be missing this afternoon, as I am mobile around Enid with nondirexional caradio.

At 2018 UT, 1660 exhibits only a very weak SAH between two other stations, no doubt ND and TX, and furthermore, KC-area stations on 1250-Spanish, 1090-Catholic were inbooming by skywave already. 2027 the same. At final check of 1660 at 2153 UT, heard an ESPN station with an ad for Morehead, i.e. KQWB West Fargo ND.

Furthermore, at 2025 UT I was hearing a ``Radio Disney`` as IDed in passing atop 1190 before fading, ending some teeny-bopper music, kid on phone in quiz. The only R. Disney on 1190, per NRC AM Log 2009-2010, is KPHN Kansas City MO, day power 5 kW, but a new one to me. That`s strange, as it`s non-direxional, and has been on the air more than 31 years, tho under different calls before March 3, 1997.

At 2019 I was gettin` a surfin` song on 1010. Uplooked later, among adjacent-state stations, format matches KCHI Chillicothe MO, yet another near KC, but there are too many other 1010s around to be sure (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)