Re: [IRCA] 1040 wandering het again

On Sunday 31 January 2010 21:16:14 Fred Schroyer wrote:
> Thanks to folks who responded to my recent post about this odd, drifting
> het. Several suggested the 10w TIS in Hanover, MD, but that is 200 miles
> away, so it's unlikely to generate the weak het I hear in SW PA at midday.
> It's much stronger @ night, beating against WHO -- in fact, at 2100 EST
> toniuhgt, it's just plain loud, and DFs to NW/SE of here. What about DXers
> in PA, MD, OH, WV -- can any of you hear it? Can you DF? I'm really
>  curious to discover who/what this might be. Thanks--

It's audible here as well (after sunset), and I'll put forward a theory on
the origin: WJTB in North Ridgeville OH (a 5 kW daytimer).  This theory is
based upon three pieces of circumstantial evidence:

1. WJTB (in the Cleveland area) is close enough to SW PA to create an audible
groundwave signal there.

2. The direction (NW) from SW PA agrees with Fred's and Brett's DF
observations.

3. I once observed WJTB to be well off frequency (about 130 Hz), and drifting
noticeably.  Admittedly, that was about four years ago, but still, it makes
you wonder... they're probably a showstring operation with an elderly
transmitter.

Heh... one more tidbit: Arbitron lists WJTB's website as www.wjtb.org.  I
went there, and it actually turned out to be the home page of "Geek Radio", a
station at New Jersey Institute of Technology (presumably a carrier current
operation, but the site is sketchy on details).  Oh well.

So, what say you about my theory?

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON