Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:31:04 -0500
From: Jim Renfrew
	<irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] TAs Last Night

You're talking to the guy who volunteered too long ago with the NRC to
create a revised country list and hasn't done it yet after at least 5 years!

It's actually fairly complicated, with various traditions of
country-counting:  (1)  Hams seem to count anything that has a spot of water

in between as two countries, (2) NASWA has the approach of "once a country,
always a country" - so there are three post-war countries in Germany instead

of one post-Wall country today - this acknowledges that people don't like
giving up countries even though they no longer exist.   (3) NRC has an old
modified list, with some water separation, e.g. France and Corsica are two
countries, Hawaii and Alaska are separate countries, but not nearly as many
as the ham lists I've seen.  The thing that had me stumped was the Dutch
islands in the Caribbean, which have various degrees of autonomy from the
Netherlands and with each other with rolling dates for activating the
changes. On top of that DXers are as independent-minded about counting
countries as we are about counting domestic stations, e.g. call changes,
facility changes, COL changes, etc., so as many as would use an official
list an equal number would go their own way!

Having said all that, I'm still willing to work on something like this.
Maybe some others are interested, too.

Jim Renfrew