Re: [IRCA] early Northern TA's

Not quite as lively today, many hets in the top half of the band, but audio
is scarce.  1575 and the others are in with a solid hets but Farda is the
only one noted with consistent audio.

To sorta answer your question Walt, that seems to be the norm, the big
transmitters likely have carriers visible here almost round the clock but
audio is much harder to come by. Certainly the mid east dominates these days
and later we do hear some of the northern Africa stations but again, hets
are easy - audio isn't.  I have somewhat more noise than I have in past
years, that's not helping either.  Your Massett loggings remind me of the
long in past reports from Brian Vernon in Elsa YT and his all day reception,
with similar effect of having the DX world pass before him as the day went
on.  What marvelous things would a Perseus recording have revealed in those
days!  And closer to home, I wonder what the signals would be like at our
also long in the past, Cardinal Divide site.

While some sites have obvious beneifts in certain directions, and salt water
sure helps, I think the main issue is noise.  I remember the good ol' days
at Cardinal Divide (and other mountain beverage sites) with some pretty
sensitive receivers (Drake R7, ICOM R70 etc)  when in the quiet pre dawn
hours they needed every db of preamp and then some. You could hear stations
under stations that didn't even move the S meter. That isn't the case here.
But if one has that kind of qth now (or can visit it) and with the modern
sprectrum grabbing receivers, a decent antenna and enough hard drive space,
anything is possible.

There are 2 short TOH .wav files on Guy's Five Below Perseus web site
recorded here in December, mainly to show the difference between the ALA100
antenna and a Eu beverage which gives some idea of the signal levels here on
a decent TA day.   I'd certainly like to (and have the room) to put up
whatever the latest phased array design currently is, so maybe that will be
a project for next year.

73 Don
VE6JY

Don, I'm back in YVR awaiting my flight home.  I agree that the top half of