Re: [IRCA] Far North Daytime Only AMs

Karl and Bruce,

Yes, I remember KYAK 630. Never heard here, but a friend in Anchorage
sent me the ad out of the Anchorage Times. We moved from Seward back to
the Oregon Coast April 67 I think KYAK signed on 68 or 69 (without
checking). I remember how surprised I was to hear Alaska had a Daytimer.
Yes, they must have only been on about 5 hours a day in December.  It
those days they probably had to sign off because of KJNO. Why they
picked 630, who knows? In those days so many frequencies were open.
Seward had 5:32 of daylight Dec 21st and Anchorage being a bit more to
the North would have less. No wonder KYAK moved to 650. Another
interesting station when I lived in Seward in the 60s was KLAM Cordova.
They were/still are 250w on 1450, but then came on at 7:30 AM, signed
off at 9:30 AM. Signed back on at 5 PM and off at 10 PM, Monday through
Friday, off weekends. Lots of spots s I remember though. The signal
popped right across Prince William Sound every day with good signals at
over 100 miles. Listened to them often as a kid. In those days Alaska
had 15 MW stations and a fair number of AFRTS outlets from 10w-250w.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager