Re: [IRCA] Far North Daytime Only AMs

Karl

The only such daytimer I can think of was KYAK-630 Anchorage in the late 60s. I think they were on the air sunrise-sunset at the time. I was up there in July 1969 and KYAK signed off at 11 pm (local sunset). I would have to assume KYAK was on only 4-5 hours during the winter, unless they had pre-sunrise authority. If that's the case, they might've been on 6 am -2 pm or thereabouts during December & January I'm not sure how long KYAK operated with this facility - I think it was a couple of years. It moved to 650 in October 1969. I don't think there have been any Alaskan daytimers since then. There may be a couple that reduce power at sunset, but I can't recall for sure.

Bruce

Karl J. Zuk wrote:
A question:

How does the FCC handle daytime only stations who are very far north?

If you are licensed to a town that experiences 'midnight sun' or close to it,
are you allowed to operate until local sunset - or maybe 24 hours a day - if the sun never sets?

Do these stations need to operate only very short hours during the height of winter
or are their concessions made for this circumstance?

A broader question: Are there any daytimers located that far north to begin with?

Thanks for listening, Karl Zuk N2KZ
_