Re: [IRCA] Late night on 860

CBXQ-540.....I remember they were in nightly 1967-69 when I dxed from Sacramento. Darned good signal too. Only competition was CBK at the time.

Don

Patrick Martin wrote:
Bill,

CFPR 860 is a powerhouse here on the OR coast nights. They pretty much
dominate the channel to the North. 10 KW ND does well. They used to be
heard days before  KPAM signed on years ago. According to the CFPR CE
from several years back, CFPR has never dropped power to 1 KW at night.
Even though some listed them as so.  They do have 1 KW as an aux. tx,
but they have always been 10 KW ND Day/Night. The 1 sec delay may be from the signal coming from the satellite,
since all of the relays are in sync. In comparing NW 98 via ANIK F1 and
direct on 980, there is a 1 sec. delay. CBXQ 540 CBC 40w on the West Coast of Vancouver Island is groundwave
here on the OR Coast. Has been the 40 years it has been on 540. Bill
Block and I drove to CA in June 1970. we carried the LPRT 540 during the
day to the OR/CA border, especially if we were right along the coast. It
would fade, as we dropped inland in places though. They are generally
about S5 on the R8 days. QRMed at night by CBK though. I have several of the LPRTs QSL'd from BC through the years, but some
ran more than the 40w.

540-CBXQ-40W 990-CBKN-40W 1070-CBUU-40W 1260-CBRU-250W
1260-CBPU-50W (Weather Radio)
1270-CBRU-400W
1350-CBKY-400W
  73,