[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 12-1...China Charges In

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 12-1...China Charges In

Hello All,

If this morning's TP conditions were any preview of the December  doldrums,
maybe it won't be so bad after all.

Having very low expectations and only about 20 minutes to listen this
morning, I chose the period of 1500-1520 UTC, setting up the large PVC loops in
the back yard (mainly for nostalgic reasons). Imagine my surprise when I
tuned  into 639-CNR1 at the top of the hour (1500), and found a monster signal
 with time pips, and all associated fanfare:

 _http://www.mediafire.com/?cjjgg2y5edd_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?cjjgg2y5edd)

The signal from Beijing had apparently risen up suddenly, since it was a
modest carrier at 1450 on the modified ICF-2010. Tuning to 756-CNR1, I found
decent audio from that Chinese station also, with a weird echo on its
signal (never before observed).

738-Taiwan Fisheries had a weak Mainland Chinese (Mandarin) co-channel on
the frequency at 1512, something that was also observed during an early
morning  DXing session last weekend. With the excellent conditions to China this
 morning, it was thought likely that the 594 kHz Chinese would be pestering
 NHK1 JOAK-- but a check of the frequency at 1514 revealed the Japanese
alone,  with no Chinese or Korean competition.

Finally at 1515 I had time to check 1134 kHz, and found a very  strong mix
of the KBS station and CNR1, creating the pulsing sound similar to a  North
American graveyard channel:

_http://www.mediafire.com/?k3ttjmmjhzj_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?k3ttjmmjhzj)

A brief check of 972 kHz at 1519 had the HLCA Korean with serious  Chinese
competition, although domestic splatter made it tough to record a  decent
MP3 of the situation. So in summary it was a very interesting TP  morning,
even though nothing new was logged. I hope that the rest of the NW  gang had a
chance to listen this morning, as well as the overachieving barefoot  ULR
TP-DXers (like Richard Allen in Oklahoma).

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP ultralight (7.5" Slider  loopstick +
CFJ455K5 IF filter)
9' and 7.5' (side) PVC tuned passive loops (in the back yard)