[IRCA] Grundig G3 some info

On sale at Radio Shack $89.99, I just bought a display sample off eBay for $89 a few days before. It's not DSP on LW/MW/SW. It has something like partial DSP on FM. It partially mutes on IBOC & splash. Have a 105.1 at 5 miles, a 104.9 at 50 miles & a 104.7 at 60 miles. Muted splash on 104.9 but gets the 104.9 on 104.8 with no problem from 104.7.

LW band almost a secret. No LW button, no mention of LW on back. LW accessed by keypad or tuning knob, but not by up/down buttons. LW poor sensitivity & almost dead below 350 KHz but OK w/Radio + Q stick except MW images 900 KHz below real frequency (450 KHz IF).

MW is more sensitive than G6 or PL-310. Selectivities believed to be 6 & 4 KHz like E5. But the advantage here is selectable LSB/USB which can slice off a het from 1 KHz away, or get weak stations 10 KHz from moderately strong (non-IBOC) locals clearly.

SW sensitivity is competitive with most other compact (or subcompact) portables. I thought the audio quite clear on moderate strength stations in wide or narrow. The volume needs to be turned up high on weak stations, but much more volume is available than on most smaller (pocket) portables.

Sync detector may not lock if station not tuned in first using non-sync LSB & USB to center. On my sample LSB sync loses lock on weak station almost right away but USB sync is more usable if you need to get rid of fading distortion. No problem using non-sync LSB or USB.

Annoying 1 sec delay after entering frequency followed by AM or FM, but can manually scan fast with no muting delay. Digital backlash on my sample? It seems to sometimes go 1 KHz in opposite direction as I start tuning.

If you keep receipt & keep radio & accessories unharmed, you can return it to The Shack if you don't like it. Monday is last day to save $60. 73, George S., MN