[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-24... Late Audio on 1494 kHz

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-24... Late Audio on 1494 kHz

Hello All,

Once again the seemingly dead band managed to resurrect itself with a late
peak, but this time the peak was shorter than usual, and included the high
band  frequencies also.

Right up until 1520 the TP's showed very little promise, and it would have
been easy to assume that the morning was hopeless. Having seen many times
how  this late November propagation has weird surprises, however, I kept
checking  594, 603, 675, 873, 1494 (John's new TP frequency from yesterday) and
1503 kHz for anything interesting.

594-JOAK came up to moderate audio at 1525 with a weak Chinese co-channel,
and 603-HLSA also was noted with Korean news at 1530, all alone on the
frequency. Around 1533 these two stations started a fade, and I thought the
brief "sunrise peak" was finished. Checking the two high-band stations in  the
modified ICF-2010's memories, however, I was very surprised  to find decent
audio on both 1494 and 1503 kHz, the first time TP audio has  ever been
heard here on 1494 kHz.

The 1494 kHz audio noted around 1537 sounded Japanese, but unfortunately
there was no 1287 parallel available to check (and I doubt that the station
was  John's 1 kw Hokkaido catch anyway-- the 10 kw Okayama station would seem
much  more likely, since the 10 kw 1503-JOUK NHK1 station had similar audio
at the  time). Unfortunately it faded quickly, so this 1494 kHz station
becomes a rare  UnID Japanese-- to add to the much more common 15 UnID Chinese
noted here during  this 2009 TP season.

Both of the high-band Japanese stations were gone by 1540 UTC, along  with
almost all the TP's except the NHK powerhouses (594, 747 and 828),  which
hung around a little longer at weak levels. So the morning was not a total
bust, despite the dreary propagation until 1520.

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:   Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:   Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick +  CFJ455K5 IF
filter)
9' and 7.5' (side) PVC tuned passive loops (in the rainy back yard)