[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-7... More Weird Chinese Co-channels

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 11-7... More Weird Chinese Co-channels

Hello All,

This morning's TP propagation may have been slightly down from  yesterday,
but there were certainly plenty of interesting signals to go  around.

At 1435 the 828 kHz frequency was a battleground, with a weakened JOBB
fighting it out with a Mandarin Chinese station playing Chinese music. Both
were  at approximately equal strength, with the frequency sounding like a
graveyard channel. This was one of two Chinese co-channel frequencies reported
by Nick from an October recording-- the other was 774, which is pretty much
hopeless here because of 770-KTTH splatter (and JOUB).

At 1505 a weakened 972-HLCA was mixing heavily with a Mandarin  Chinese
station, which was broadcasting news with a male announcer.  The Korean station
finally prevailed over the pesky  Chinese, dominating the frequency until
general TP fadeout around 1515  here.

As reported by Nick, Bruce and Nigel already, the strong  648 kHz TP signal
is indeed the VOR's Chinese service, restored back  to the strong signals
which were typical last year. I guess we all missed  our chance to dig out
weak co-channels on this frequency :-)

In general, the November propagation has been spotty, but there  are many
obscure TP's waiting to be logged on the frequencies of the  weakened NHK and
KBS powerhouses. Like most DXers in previous seasons, in  November I would
check these "powerhouse" frequencies, find the NHK signals  down, and assume
that TP propagation was mediocre. Now it's clear that TP  propagation isn't
necessarily down just because the big gun NHK stations are  weak-- and that
we have many chances to try for rare, obscure TP's when  these "big gun"
stations go into their seasonal demise.

Now the only problem is to identify all these UnID Chinese-- a dilemma it
seems we all face :-)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5
filter)
9' and 6' (side) PVC tuned passive loops (in the back yard)