[IRCA] MW report from Australia for 5 and 6 Nov09

[IRCA] MW report from Australia for 5 and 6 Nov09

Well, I finally pulled out the Eton e100 modified receiver for some DX last night during our 36 hour cruise between Melbourne, South Australia (home of famed DXer, Bob Padula) and Hobart, Tasmania (a gorgeous island, and lovely city all around!). The crossing had been very gentle and the temperatures very warm, so a late evening session at the aft end of the boat with the Eton, and iRiver 795 mp3 recorder seemed to be the perfect way to end the day. I was hoping to hear some TP DX, but during that hour, all I could hear were hets on many frequencies, but otherwise all my loggings were confined to Australia. Still, you might find them of some interest, so here we go. As well, I listened this afternoon to the local Hobart AM stations as well.

531 3GG Warragul, Victoria. 5 kW station at 10:49 and again at 10:57 with agricultural ads for seeds. Also for A.W. Smith and Son in Warragul. Good reception.
  local ID noted for 3GG.
549: 2CR Orange, NSW. 50 kW ABC Central West. ABC jingle at 11:00 with no local ID (pretty common not to hear any at the TOH, other than the network ID, much like in Canada). Audrey Hepburn remembrance. Good reception. 585: 7RN Hobart. ABC National with 10 kW. 05:00 on 6 Nov without any local ID, and directly into the news after a generic "ABC National" ID. 639: ?5CK Port Pirie, South Australia with 10 kW. Likely this one with a network show at 10:42, giving an ID for 891 Adelaide at 10:43 (5AN). Good reception. 666: 2CN, ABC Canberra. 5 kW station with temperature for Canberra (13 deg C) into Nightline program. Good reception. 747: 7PB Hobart, Tasmania. Heard at 05:07 on 6Nov listed at 10 kW daytime power. No local IDs, only "ABC News Radio". 792: 4RN Brisbane, Queensland with ABC National programming. Fair to good reception at 05:17 which was 4:17 pm local. Quite a distance, but entirely over salt water, so from a half of a continent away, reception was still possible. 864: 7RPH Print Radio Tasmania, Hobart with 2 kW. "RPH, your reading service" ID at 04:29
936:  7ZR ABC Hobart, Tasmania with 10 kW at 05:26
1017: 2KY Racing Radio, Sydney NSW with 5 kW at poor/fair level at 10:46 and again at 11:15. 1080: 7TAB, Hobart at 5 kW. The last Hobart station logged during the afternoon of 6Nov at 05:28. ID given as "Tote Sport Radio". 1035 2EA/t SBS Radio, Wollongong, NSW with 2 kW in Bahasa Indonesian at 11:17 with many mentions of Indonesia and www.sbs.com. Good reception. 1107: 2EA SBS Radio in Sydney with 5 kW. Another ethnic program with "Australia" mentioned often. Fair level at 11:21. 1116: presumed 3AK, Melbourne, SA with ad for Golf Clearance Outlet in Huntingdale at 11:22. Good. 5 kW night power listed. 1134: ?3CS, Colac, Victoria with 5 kW (less likely 2AD Armidale, NSW) with weather forecast at 11:24.
1143:  2HD Newcastle, NSW with 2 kW with weather and local ID at 11:26.
1188:  2NZ, Inverell, NSW at 2 kW with local ID at 11:29.
1530: 2VM, Moree, NSW with 2 kW with local ID at very good level at 10:39, and Moree Car Park ad. 1539: 5TAB Adelaide, South Australia with 10 kW and horse race results. Fair reception. at 10:39

Tonight the weather is quite cold and the ship is rolling a fair bit, so I think I'll pass on DXing tonight. We left Hobart at 18:00 local, bound for New Zealand which will take us 2 1/2 days to reach. I'll be interested in seeing how things go tomorrow or the night after (tomorrow is a formal night, so might not have a chance to DX). 73s for now from Down Under! ...........Walt 1566: 3NE Wangaratta, Victoria at excellent level at 10:32 UTC. .