Re: [IRCA] CJDC-890

On Thursday 05 November 2009 00:37, Patrick Martin wrote:
> Great catch!

Thanks!  I'm pleased with this one... target DXing strikes again!

CJDC was never on my radar screen at all, until Kaz reported hearing
them a few months back.  Then WAMG in the Boston area helped clear up
the 890 nighttime clutter here by going silent.  The biggest problem
remaining was the humungous IBOC noise from WCBS - can't null that
and WLS at the same time.  However, WCBS turns off the crud during
Yankees games, and fortunately, they got into the Series.  But it was
getting into the late innings, and still not much on 890 with WLS
nulled, except some Progreso and weaker SS stuff.  Finally, started
to hear some C&W around 2330, and I caught some good IDs from CJDC
before midnight... shortly after, WCBS snapped the IBOC back on, and
890 was swamped with noise.  Whew!

With northern BC in the log, thoughts of Alaska start dancing in one's
head!  The prospects here aren't very good, but I did check 750... no
sign of Clark Howard on KFQD.  WSB is easy to null, but the nighttime
operation of WARD in MI is a major nuisance here, and Venezuela is
often as strong as WSB.  Still, propagation to the west can be better
than last night... in fact, it was better on Nov. 2, when I had
armchair reception of CKWX, CFFR was audible on 660 even without
nulling WFAN, and CHRB was like a local.  KNX was even making it at
times through the horrendous IBOC noise thrown out by KYW-1060 and
WTIC-1080.  K/A indices are both 0 right now, so the good propagation
may linger for a while.

To add icing on the cake, TA signals were also quite good (though
spotty and variable) last night, and I logged Romania on 1179 for a
new country.  I heard pop music there and was thinking maybe Sweden,
but then measured the carrier frequency to be 1179.0097, which is a
match for Romania in the mwoffsets list.  I found their stream on the
net, and sure enough, it was them!  I also had hints of other
Romanian stations (855, 909), but not enough to ID them.

It's nights like last night that keep me in the game, despite steadily
rising local noise levels and the scourge of IBOC.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON