[IRCA] Thanks to the Sydney DXers

We'll be pulling up anchor shortly and heading to Melbourne. I'd like to thank John and Tony and others in the Sydney area for responding for my request to meet or say hello to DXers wherever I've travelled. I have found this to be a fun and very rewarding experience having met DXers in Italy and Ukraine to name just a couple of places. These people have remained close friends to this very day. Anyway, as luck would have it, we arrived on a lovely Sunday morning in Sydney (temperatures up to 30 degree C). After getting through all of the formalities, and after a city bus tour, we arrived at our ship (the Amsterdam) at noon. I was able to call John and had a very nice chat (while at Bondi beach). As it turned out, most of the DXers in the Sydney area live quite far away from the central core where our ship was moored. I hadn't realized how huge Sydney actually is both by population (4.6 million) and by size (not sure about that, but it's very spread out!). Being a Sunday, parking is a real problem, so we weren't able to meet. Perhaps next time. From here, I've had contact with DXers in New Zealand, and Honolulu, so I'm confident that I'll be able to meet up with some of them at those locations. I do recommend Sydney as a very world class city, and truly lovely (and this is coming from someone living on the WCNA...so already difficult to impress). Gorgeous views from all directions, and wonderful landmarks like the Opera House and bridge! All in all a good start to the vacation.

Radio wise, I did turn on the radio very briefly yesterday to confirm nothing on Radio Symban's 2368.5 kHz channel. Also found that my Eton e100 doesn't want to tune past 1620! Strange, as I was hoping to explore the x-band a little more while here. I do have a Grundig Aviator G6, though, courtesy of Colin Newell, so I'll have to fire that one up (it's with me for Radio St. Helena Day later this month). Cheers, mates! ............Walt Salmaniw, onboard the Amsterdam, Sydney Harbour, Australia.