Re: [IRCA] TP for 31 Oct from Victoria, BC

Re: [IRCA] TP for 31 Oct from Victoria, BC

Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
Hmm, in spite of Nigel's and Bruce's comments, this morning in Victoria was a large improvement on yesterday, thought part of the quantity of loggings was due to spending more time at it. Hope the guys at Grayland had similar conditions.
One caveat, the strongest signals were heard between 1250 and 1330UT (maybe peaking about 1320), and signal strengths tapered off after that point, with no obvious sunrise enhancement.   In addition, after 1330, the decline in signals was most noticeable in the upper band, which had shown some signs of liveliness previously.   Finally, 603 kHz and below was a bit of a gold mine of good signals this morning, though nothing new logged.   (also ran the SDR-14 earlier, and found Mayak chimes on 666//576 at 0959, mystery chimes on 603 at 0959 and 1359, which I'm  suspecting is KBS2, and 720 had CC pips at 1200UT mixing w/KDWN.
I also noticed better signals at around 1320. In my case, I was recording 30 minute segments starting at the upper part of the band and working my way down. That may explain why 1206 was my best audio of the morning and 1170 was one of the best (despite having co-channel KPUG) - I was recording that part of the band when everything apparently peaked. That's one of the drawbacks of timed SDR recordings - you get snapshots of parts of the band at various times. You can't tell for sure if conditions were consistently good or bad in a particular part of the band or if the band in general was good or bad while you were there. That would be mush less of an issue for someone DXing in "real time" or recording on a Perseus.

Bruce