[IRCA] Abbreviated but interesting TP DX this morning

[IRCA] Abbreviated but interesting TP DX this morning

Sometimes, if you try to record while you sleep, things don't work out as planned. This time around, Spectravue and Vista got into one of their periodic fistfights, so nothing got recorded until I stepped in at 1340 and broke things up. So today I ended up hitting the record button as I headed off to work. Although I only recorded 585 to 774 kHz from 1340 to 1510, things were kind of interesting. The Japanese powerhouses were up and down, and there were lots of unexpected Chinese stations. CNR1-639 was back to normal, with its regular time pips, time check and full fanfare ID at 1400, so I'm not sure if it was really them I heard yesterday with NHK-like pips, or if they broke format for some other reason.

There were also unid Chinese stations on 594 and 603, as well as 621. The latter had a pretty good signal but took a lot of bashing from KCIS-630, thus preventing any hope of an ID.

Anyway, here's what the SDR files divulged. Things were pretty good until about 1450, when signal levels took a nosedive.

Really nice audio, for a few minutes at least, good enough for a native speaker to follow most of it: 594 JOAK, Perfect copy for a few minutes here and there, but the wildly varying signal faded into unintelligible glop several times. At about 1425 there was a second station in the background with music and a woman in Chinese 738 Taiwan, briefly quite good at 1340 with what sounded like a sporting event. Dropped down to unexciting strength a few minutes later and stayed there

Somewhat OK audio, a native speaker could recognize some of the words and phrases at times: 621 Unid Chinese, quite strong at times but usually hammered into incomprehensibility by KCIS-630
639 CNR1, see above
657 N Korea
693 Japan
756 China dominant with Korea in background, pips & talk from both at 1400
747 Japan
774 Japan

Marginal audio, could recognize programming, but a native speaker wouldn't have been able to understand it
585  Japan //594
603  China, unid w/pips & time check at 1400, no ID heard
675  Unid
720   CNR2, pips at 1400
729 China, pips & time check at 1400, as well as talk & music before ToH, probably Jiangxi

Carriers, none of them with real or imaginary audio today
612 648 666

Bruce in Seattle
SDR-IQ with K9AY antenna