Re: [IRCA] Noise cancelling headphones

Sure, I can see that there are exceptions.  I have the Bose aviation noise cancelling headphones that I LOVE while I fly ($1000+).  They are superb.  I have tried lots of others with different levels of success.  In Colin's case, he needs to be able to eliminate the surf sound.  One option is to use the tight headphones worn by race car enthusiasts/pit crew.  They virtually totally eliminate any extraneous noise when worn, but are passive, of course, and not active.  You don't seem to lose any frequency response with these, compared to the active variety.  I have a pair of these that are in fact up in Masset now, and are used primarily during my DXing sessions there.  My wife hates them, as I don't hear a thing around me, including calls for dinner, etc!  Mostly, my experience is that you get what you pay for with active noise cancelling headphones (the Bose variety Steve mentioned are superb...my wife has a pair of those), whereas the $20 or $30 variety barely do much of an!
 ything...Walt