[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-25... UnID Chinese on 585 & 594

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-25... UnID Chinese on 585 & 594

Hello All,

Like John, Walt, Dennis and Nigel, I noticed that the band in general was
not near its peak levels, but there was some bizarre DX on 585 and 594
(apparently from China) that had never been heard here for the entire  season.

The back yard was near freezing at 1400 UTC when I set up the 9' box loop,
but there was a fringe benefit-- the cold weather dropped the lowest
resonant  frequency of the largest tuned loop down to around 530 kHz. For the
first time  this season, I was able to check 585 and 594 kHz using this high
gain  antenna, and it made a critical difference.

Around 1423 a station on 585 kHz playing Chinese opera music rose up way
over the usual JOPG NHK1 station to dominate the frequency for about 5
minutes, as JOPG dropped into the noise. The Chinese opera music continued  in a
leisurely fashion during the entire period, then faded out as suddenly as
it had come. By 1434 JOPG was back weakly on the frequency // 594, with no
hint  of the Chinese opera station. Weird!

Like John and Walt, I heard (and recorded) the Chinese station mixing  with
JOAK on 594 kHz. Both stations were of approximately equal strength here
from 1435-1440. Unfortunately the recording didn't provide any ID clues, so
another UnID Chinese is added to the list (of 8) that the new 9' PVC  loop
has received so far.

648 kHz didn't have much audio this morning, and the high and  mid-band was
generally down in strength. Except for the strange Chinese  visitors on the
low band, it would have been a mediocre morning-- but this  late in the
season I'll be thankful for anything new that comes in  :-)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5
filter)
9' (side) tuned passive loop (in a cold back yard)