[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-23... Late Korean Surge

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 10-23... Late Korean Surge

Hello All,

With the terrible propagation forecast and drizzling rain in the back yard,
 it required some motivation to set up the 9' and 6' ("nasty weather
model") PVC  loops at 1400 UTC.

For the most part, the poor propagation forecast was fulfilled, with  the
high-band and mid-band TP's seriously down in strength (as reported by  John,
Nick, and Dennis). Whereas 1134 kHz usually has a mix of JOQR, KBS and
CNR1 during good conditions, this morning it was a lone, weak KBS. 1170 kHz had
 no TP's to interfere with KPUG's sports talk, and 1053 had almost no
carrier at all.

The low-band NHK stations (594, 747 and 828) had some strength,  but that
was about it until after dawn, when it seemed like things should be  over.
Suddenly a decent carrier appeared on 558, which I assumed would be JOCR--
but the music certainly didn't sound Japanese. On the new barefoot PL-310  DSP
Ultralight, I was able to quickly check the 603-HLSA parallel to confirm
that the 558 station was HLQA, a new Ultralight TP for me (#111). It was a
shocker to receive this new station on such a poor morning (and even more of
a  shocker to read that John logged it for the first time this morning
also... I  had assumed that John would have received it multiple times by now,
and  have several QSL's :-)

So it turns out that the morning wasn't so bad after all.

73, Gary

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Ultralight of the Morning:  Stock Tecsun PL-310 DSP wonder
6' "Nasty Weather" PVC-framed tuned passive loop (designed for western
Washington wind storms)