Re: [IRCA] More 1170 kHz TP Follies-- VOA with African Music at 1420 UTC?

Re: [IRCA] More 1170 kHz TP Follies-- VOA with African Music at 1420 UTC?

Great job on 1170 with a ULR, Gary. Checked here this morning out of interest (where KPUG is not usually an issue, though IBOC from KSL certainly is). At least two sets of time pips at 1300, and "Welcome to the Voice of America in Cantonese". At 1400 it seemed to be KBS virtually by itself. Haven't yet logged the Chinese here.
73,

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore, Alberta

D1028Gary@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the tip about checking the Euro-African and Middle Eastern station listings, when investigating UnID's during our sunrise TP chasing.

In this case of the booming 1170 kHz non-Korean/Japanese/Chinese foreign language station, Bruce's explanation of the Indian language program on KLOK sounds very likely, though. Its signal strength on the peaks (9+) was probably too much to be coming from Europe, Africa or the Middle East.

So I guess the final assessment of my 1170 Khz loggings over the past two days is a mixture of KPUG, KLOK, the KBS station (HLSR) and a presumed CNR1, which I will check against the 5030 parallel at the first opportunity. Quite possibly the Indian language program on 1170 kHz will fool some DXers into thinking they have received the exotic catch of their lifetimes :-)

73, Gary