From what you wrote, I don't suggest grounding the rx to the car ! I'd just
keep my hands off the rx when measuring strengths and let it float.

Also did you BOG's run from North to South ? ie aim South from the rx or visa versa and also same question for E-W BOG.

73 and look forward to having all kinds of fun if you can phase 2 of them // and stay in that park at least somewhat after sundown. .. KAZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ Edmunds" <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "AM DX List" <am@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [am] BOG experiments, week 2: Amazing results!

I have used BOG's of 500' and they are indeed directional across the band. What differs as you add length is the directionality and in some cases the strength of signals. Between 500' and 1500' ( the longest I've had experience with ) the pattern narrows, which translates into more rejection off the sides.

Unterminated, you'll see some signals off the end where you have the receiver, but they'll be somewhat weaker than those from the far end. Adding a termination at the far end will enhance that effect.

With a roughly 1000' BOG on the beach in New Jersey, aimed at 42 degrees ( // the coastline at that point ) the vast majority of the stations heard using that antenna were between 25 and 65 degrees. In this case there's very little reasonably possible at less than 25 degrees, but at 65 - 70 degrees, signals started to drop off. At 500' the beamwidth is about twice that based on a southwest-terminated antenna.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id