[IRCA] A simple Phased BOG System description and a recent mod

[IRCA] A simple Phased BOG System description and a recent mod

A couple DXers have asked about phasing BOGs so I'll spend some time describing what I do with BOGs. First of all, I strive to get my BOGs close to the ground..ie across low cut grass, on dirt or mulch, or on my driveway. I want to take advantage of the fact that the velocity factor is lower when the wires are very close to ground to hopefully give me an antenna with similar directivity to an elevated Bev. The field to the east of my house here in IL is about 85% the size of a football field and nearly as flat as one and low cut. If one is going thru areas with under growth or tall grasses I have found that the quickest way to get the wire close to ground is then to roll the spool on the ground and then walk back and forth and try to get the wire lower and step on it. I strongly recommend cord winders for BOG wire as they make it easy to install and supereasy to pickup. These things cost about $7 at Home Depot or Lowes.

The simplest Phased BOG System and one that is very easy to use will likely result in many new mid and high band loggings for most domestic DXers due to both a fine back null and good forward directivity. First of all, I usually DX out of my truck and I use the quantum phaser and battery pack. Other phasers should also work so feel free to test or home brew your own. I usually don't use transformers (a presumed 5:1 SWR doesn't seem to hurt)and cables when DXing in my truck but simply run the wire ends under the truck door(s) and hook up to the phaser on the passenger seat. Simple isn't it.. very simple I think and very easy when I need to break the setup down as well as quick and easy to setup. Yes..no transformers, no cables (except from the phaser to rx) and I am inputting the medium impedance BOGs (about 250 ohms) directly into the 50 ohm phaser inputs. I am breaking some RF rules..but so what ? It doesn't hurt performance for mini-DXpeds in my fields and it means that setup and take down take about 10 minutes.

I will describe the 320 deg Phased BOG System I have been recently using here in IL since pwerline qrn mostly went away earlier in the year, allowing me to park at the SE end of my field and have no noise sometimes. The main wire runs from under my truck door and slopes down to ground and has a total length of 330 ft. It is straight as an arrow aimed about 320 deg. I want these short BOGs very straight to try to narrow the beamwidth as much as possible, but the concept will still work fine with some small bends. The second wire run out under the same truck door and is 200 ft long. The wires are very close together when they enter my DX truck and pass under my legs and then hook up to the phaser. This doesn't seem to harm performance one bit and I have also come in under the passenger door and hooked up and it works the same. The wires are // and seperated by about 1.5 feet. That distance apart isn't critical and I've used them 1 feet apart or 3 feet aprt and the Phased BOG System is jasu as effective them as now. When I reach the lengths I want for these quicky setups I just leave the spool of wire on the ground and this doesn't hurt performance either.

130 feet difference in length seems to work well for the upper part of the AM band. If you have the wires the same length you'll phase null everything deeply. If you make the shorter wire too short, its beamwidth widens more than I'd like. Longer BOGs would be more effective for the lower end but I have no more room here towards the NW. When I use longer BOGs to the ENE in WI for mid latitude TA's and SSS to New England and NY State. I tend to use about 180 or 190 feet difference in length. (This seemed good when I got Ireland on 549 in WI and has also made me think that I was DXing from Spain with them all over the dial. Last time in WI I used 415 ft // 281 ft aimed more northerly and while I'd like longer wires for the lower end, getting Syria, Spain, and Mauritania on 783 passed phased back end WBBM (92 miles) would indicate a decent antenna system. The exact lengths of BOGs for the Phased BOG System isn't critical and I don't feel that the difference in lengths is critical either. You want to make sure that the DX left over when you phase the back end isn't greatly attenuated and most certainly you don't want it attenuated across the band. The low end here with my setup in IL seems rather attenuated but getting CKUA 580 indicates that it can still provide nice DX.

Use: OK so you have your two // BOGs down and it is time to phase them to null back end pests. Compare back end amplitudes and they are usually similar but make whatever quick adjustment it needed to get them close to equal and then adjust phase as needed to null more and back and forth tweaking amplitude and phase until you greatly reduce that back end pest. The nulls are reasonably broadbanded and decently wide. Phasing WRTO 1200 is good for much of the upper band while phasing WLAC 1510 tends to require a bit different phaser tweaking and is good for the very high band. Phasing WMVP 1000 seems good for midband. WMVP is SE of here but the null of it also reduces things like KDKA and WBZ and KYW to the east enough to tell there's stuff under but I may sometimes want to further deepend that specific null.

The array can also be used to null stuff in the direction it points but even at these lengths BOGs have a few dB of attenuation and it is preferable to aim directly at the DX. That being said, two years ago and a few times in AU cx the back ends of my Phased TA BOGs provided a pipeline to Veracruz.

Termination: Note that this quicky Phased BOG System requires no termination. I seriously don't recommend putting ground rods on land you don't own ! Termination can help further reduce back end qrm, but I've never seen it do a good job across the entire BCB band (also not seen that for classic elevated Bevs). I also have not found that fanning out a few wires on the ground after the resistor rather than using a ground rod did anything to help BOG termination. I suspect they simply may become part of the antenna. However, this is reported to work at LBI, but beach sand conductivity is likely much less than my midwestern soil. More on termination in a later post, but for quick use and casual use don't worry about it ! Just phase a pair of different length // BOGs and enjoy.

A recent mod seems quite useful for the upper band. I strongly believe that the best performance and most broadbanded nulls (ie for Perseus users to record the entire band) would be obtained from // staggered BOGs or Bevs the same length. Theoretically with feedpoints 1/4 wave apart and 90 degrees phase different would result in adding in phase in one direction while having a nice 180 deg out of phase null for the other. If you combine the two antennas 180 deg out of phase and then use either delay line or a LC circuit the back end should be 180 deg out of phase for the entire band. 1/8 wave apart and 3/8 wave phasing would also work, of course.

With that in mind, and wanting to use a longer phase shorter BOG to narrow its beam a bit, I decided to try extending the back end of the shorter BOG and then bending it back to my DX truck and phaser. So now while my 330 ft BOG at 320 deg remains the same, the shorter wire still runs 200 ft to my truck but passes under it and goes 51.5 feet (I haven't an inch more room) and then bends 180 degrees and comes back to my DX truck and hooks up to the phaser. This is somewhat staggering two BOGs and seems to have more signal left over when I phase the back end pests. The doublebacked BOG usually has a bit more backend pest signal than my longer straight one so I just need to add a bit of resistance with that phaser pot. It really seems that I have more signal left over after phase nulling now across the band and especially across the high end. When I phase null to the Palatine TIS on 1660 due SE, WTDY due NW on 1670 isn't any weaker on the phased combo than on a single wire and some upper band stuff is honestly a bit stronger on the pair.The back null also seems to be somewhat more broadbanded now ! This is exactly the effect that I want and a few dB can make all the difference in pulling out DX from the mess and pulling out that DX under a phased powerhouse local. I'll make a more exhaustive test of this concept in WI where I have more room and where I don't have Chicago's pests to make a mess of daytime DX that direction. I honestly have never had some of the northwesterly DX as good as the past two nights.

73 KAZ