[IRCA] TPs from Orcas: Sept 19, 2009

Overall, my morning and the Walt/Colin combo heard the same things, though it sounds like Walt's levels were a bit better than mine. It was a generally mediocre to poor morning until max dawn where a real boost kind of saved the day... erh, DAWN. Once again, it was a real low-band morning here, with only 5 in audio above 1116. About 75% of the channels below that mark had at least threshold audio.

The most interesting:

639 presumed KBS3 ("The Voice of Love") Seoul was doing very well this morning... not usually in anything more than murmur level.

756: I've noted an Open Carrier here on several mornings this fall... it was back at an 8 orr 9 level. I suspect a KBS1 station at 100 kW, only because Korea was doing well elsewhere and I've noted the same parallel performance before.

882 is only rarely in here in audio, but it was loud in Korean this AM, but not //2850 as per PAL. I think that the North is messing with some of their network affiliations.

1053: Quite a few of the NW community report North Korea//2850 here, but I rarely, if ever have heard such. I've been making this channel a project this fall and FINALLY, may have heard the //2850. My usual station, beside the jammer, is Nagoya, Japan, with sometimes another Asian siub-dominant, but not //2850. This morning, the ja,mmer dominated, but there were two Asians beneath. I think that the lower of the two was//2850... The Voice of National Salvation or whatever from N. Korea.

1098 at dawn was most probably Radio Taiwan International broadcasting to the mainland, was a Chinese dialect and riding over the Marshalls O.C.

1107 shows a really messy ragged carrier almost every morning. This morning, there was also decent KK audio. There was a second Asian station as well, probably JJ. The only Korean listed in PAL is an MBC station in the South.

So, thankfully quite a few things of interest on a rather lackluster morning. Colin, sorry that we did not do better for you!!!

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops