To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <stanw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 4:11 AM
Subject: [IRCA] KGA off again!

It's currently 0645 ELT, 9/5, & when I checked moments ago, KGA 1510 was off, & a weak KCKK Littleton, Colorado, was the only station I can hear on 1510 on my Drake R8 & Kiwa loop. KCKK is a Sporting News Radio affiliate.

When I left work in Post Falls, Idaho (20 miles east of Spokane), at 0515 ELT, KGA was on, but I wasn't sure because I heard a fluttery signal with sports programming & Fox Sports promos. Within a few minutes they IDed as KGA, so they obviously carry Fox sports, at least this time of night on Friday night/Saturday morning. KGA's signal strength seemed much weaker than I would have expected it to be in this direction, so I bet they are running 12.5 kw non-directional.

Sometime between 0515 & when I arrived home @ 0555, KGA went off again, leaving KCKK dominating the channel. I was checking other frequencies for DX while driving home, so I didn't hear KGA go off.

I hope some of the rest of you are able to catch some good DX with KGA off.

Mike Sanburn mentioned WLAC-TN. I've actually managed to hear them from here, but it was way back on a winter night in 1971 when KGA used to sign off at midnight.

Doug Smith in Nashville heard KGA a few years back & I can't remember if WLAC was off at the time, although I suspect it was.

I haven't heard WSM 650 from here in many years, although I think they'd be possible under the right conditions.

I heard WJR 760 Detroit on my new Sangean DT-400W unmodified ultralight last January. It was the first time I'd heard them in years.

73,
Stan Weisbeck
Spokane, WA