From: "John H. Bryant" <bjohnorcas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "irca-hard-core-dx.com" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ultralightdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:26:54 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [IRCA] TPs from Orcas Island: Sept 2: Best Yet!

Dawn today brought an outstanding East Asian morning, though like
most so far, there wasn't much before 30 minutes prior to LSR and
things dropped like a rock about 1325, a few minutes before LSR.

The lower half of the band was full of mostly threshold level audio,
with 42 stations noted at that level or above. The upper half was
reasonably populated with 21 stations breaking into audio.  The
aggregate 63 is well above the other excellent morning a few days ago
(around 50.)

It was almost all Asian for me, with just a few hints of DU on 612
and maybe 1512.  Probably the strongest station of the morning was
HLAZ on 1566, which I thought was still somewhat under-modulated, but
it had a HUGE signal. In general, stations on or near the Korean
peninsula seemed to be doing particularly well.

Some of the more interesting notations:

666 NHK2 Osaka was putting in the first audio of the year

837 had two Asian stations doing moderate 8-level well. I don't
recognize Korean instantly, unless it is coming in well. However, I
don't think that the dom. here was Korean... I think that it was
either Taiwanese or Fujian dialect. I've been chasing the new station
that Alan Davies reported as a new CNR Service to Taiwan about 18
months ago... this may have been it. I'm pretty sure that this was
not Harbin News Channel (that was the weaker one??) unless an
all-news station has begun playing pop ballads fairly soon after TOH.

873 and 891's NHKs were doing especially well.

918 The Shandong News multi transmitters were back with a nice echo,
but just above threshold.

963 (Russian), 1017 (Korean) and 1044 (Japanese) were the CNR Foreign
Language Services all doing fairly well. This is more usual at mid-season.

1053 There were two Asian audios here early. In the past, I've always
heard the Japanese, JOAR, Nagoya. I've noticed recently that Guy has
been hearing the North Korean broadcasting station here (which I
never have). I bet that I heard them both this morning. Later, the
Jammer and one Asian were occupying the channel.

The most interesting high band stations were the NHK synchros on 1188
and 1386, in just above threshold levels. Again, more of a mid-season
phenomenon.

So, I think that the traditional September 1 start of the Northern
Hemisphere FALL SEASON was right on the mark this year. BRAVO!!!

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops