[IRCA] TPs Monday 31 Aug. from Orcas Island.

[IRCA] TPs Monday 31 Aug. from Orcas Island.

The propagation goddess knocked about 30 dB off the top of all signals on the northerly routes (East Asia) and, for me at least DUs were actually better than usual. Of the Asians, only 747//774 made it into listenable audio, and 774 was fighting it out with the Aussie the entire half hour before dawn. The only even threshold audio above 972 was probable DU on 1512 and very poor 1566 and 1575.

Since I don't hear DUs well here at all and this antenna is pointed almost 90 degrees away from them besides, the only DU audio that I've heard recently has been in that funny time right at dawn when TP signals "tumble" or "come straight down from the terminator over head," or some such. For instance, that is what happened for about 5 minutes yesterday. However, today, there were several DUs in audio a half hour before LSR and they just kept getting better... 612 Brisbane was the pick of the litter, scoring a very listenable 8 near dawn. Others at least making it to language recognition level were 702 Sydney, 738 (both Grafton and Tahiti), 837 (Rockhampton????)and 1512 Newcastle.

So, I guess Gary hit one of the best mornings recently for TPs and DUs combined, though this AM may have been very good for DUs at the beach.

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops