Re: [IRCA] TP: Brief report: Normal

Hello All,

The original plan here was to sleep through the dawn enhancement period,
but after suddenly waking up at 1250 UTC, I couldn't resist checking DU
carriers  on the modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick).

Right by the bedside, 639 and 648 had very strong carriers on the  Sony,
and 738 had weak audio-- more than enough to convince me that there was a
great DU opening occurring.

Grabbing the 2010, a SWP Slider ultralight and an audio recorder, I quickly
 proceeded to the back yard and set up the 9' tuned passive loop to  boost
the DU signals-- which by 1255 were fading fast. By 1300,  all of the DU's
(including 738) were just anemic carriers, no matter how  much massive gain
the loop provided.

The moral of the story is that Puyallup is no Grayland, and just when the
DU's start to sizzle, it only means they are about to fizzle. Just like a
few days ago, the DU strength only seemed to stick around for about 10
minutes.  Having become used to the long and deep Grayland DU openings during
three trips  this summer, the Puyallup version is almost comical.

I do agree with Walt about the lack of modulation in the carrier of  639-
Radio Fiji 1, however. Compared to last year, when I was able to get a
fairly good audio signal (and MP3) at Grayland with just a Slider E100, the
audio signal this year has really dived, in comparison to carrier strength. It
seems like just when 738-Tahiti corrected their modulation problem, 639-Fiji
 came down with the same issue.

73, Gary (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 8/22/2009 6:12:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,