[IRCA] Tuesday Aug. 18th Ultralight TP Loggings - Yachats, OR

[IRCA] Tuesday Aug. 18th Ultralight TP Loggings - Yachats, OR

Sunrise this morning at the coast in Yachats, Oregon was beautiful, with the
fog slowly parting, clear skies overhead, and mostly TP DX hitting the
Amidon 7.5" ferrite antenna of the Kchibo D96L.

This is the first full day of a week long vacation for me in this small
coastal town. Besides my wife and daughters I'm accompanied by one of Gary
DeBock's hotrodded Eton E100 portables (Murata filter & Amidon 7.5" slider),
and my own Kchibo DSP D96L receivers modified with an Amidon 7.5" ferrite. I
wasn't totally happy with the construction of a 32" square air core loop I
built last week (shudda gone with Gary's excellent PVC design!), so I left
it home to be reworked later. I decided to see what could be heard with just
the hand-held packages of the Eton and the Kchibo.

I was ready to go at 1230 UTC (40 min. prior to local SR), plopped in a deck
chair of our rental house, and comfy in a warm blanket. A pair of earbuds
swapped between the receivers helped to drown out the roar of the Pacific
Ocean's waves.

Like Walt Salmaniw and Dennis Vroom have already mentioned, this morning had
great reception. Here's what I heard with both receivers; they provided
virtually equal selectivity but the sensitivity edge goes to the E100 with
its sharp-peaking slider. Bonus kudos go to the Kchibo for its antenna
circuitry that works equally well across the band without any peaking or
adjustment.

558 UNID at 1323 with threshold audio.

567 NEW ZEALAND RNZ National, presumed with weak signal of English talk by
man at 1245 UTC.

594 JAPAN JOAK Tokyo with male talk in Japanese at 1248; fair to good.

693 JAPAN JOAB Tokyo, heard parallel to 747 with Japanese talk at 1252. Nice
signal!

747 JAPAN JOIB Sapporo; another JJ big gun heard parallel to 693. Very good
signal at 1252.

774 JAPAN JOUB Akita noted parallel to 747; good level with English lessons
at 1253.

828 JAPAN JOBB Osaka, also parallel to 774 and at a good level with end of
English lessons 1259.

837 JAPAN JOQK Niigata, very tentative with possible Japanese talk by
female; signal nulled in the direction of other Japanese stations heard this
morning. Poor to fair at 1303.

918 UNID Weak talk heard here briefly at 1304.

936 UNID Weak Asian-sounding talk at 1305...no other clues, unfortunately.

963 CHINA CRI in Russian lang. by female, fair signal at 1310.

1035 NEW ZEALAND Presumed Newstalk ZB Wellington with male announcer in Kiwi
accented English at 1314. Fair.

1053 NORTH KOREA; noted the usual KK jammer at 1316; poor to fair.

1134 JAPAN JOQR Tokyo with Japanese talk by man and woman; *very* good level
at 1318.

1566 SOUTH KOREA HLAZ coming in strongly, and nearly amazing on a brief peak
at 1326 with music and Japanese talk.