[IRCA] Kchibo's Top DSP Portable (D96L)-- First Impressions

[IRCA] Kchibo's Top DSP Portable (D96L)-- First Impressions

Hello Guys,

The official Ultralight radio status of the Kchibo D96L has yet to be
determined, and several of us who have ordered the unit are still comparing
notes on its performance. At least from my own perspective, however, the D96L
model I received from the seller on _http://www.ecrater.com_
(http://www.ecrater.com)  has convinced me that  this new DSP radio is really something
special for AM-DXers.

In comparison with an aligned Grundig G8, the out-of-the-box low-band AM
sensitivity seems very competitive, especially once the whip antenna is
raised  to a vertical position. The D96L X-band sensitivity seems slightly
superior, however, even before my radio has AM alignment performed.  Hobbyists
are cautioned that this is only one sample, however, and we don't yet  know if
this sensitivity is typical of the factory D96L models.

The D96L's DSP-enhanced selectivity is exceptional on the AM band,
especially on the 1 kHz setting. My own impression is that this AM selectivity
outperforms the PL-300WT/ G8's AM selectivity by a wide margin, although it
remains to be seen whether this stellar quality will be competitive with the
Murata CFJ455K5 premium IF ceramic filters transplanted into the Slider E100
and  Slider SWP models for 9-kHz split frequency transoceanic DXing.

The D96L does share a quirk with the G8-- heterodynes from  1600-1630 kHz.
But it has several convenient features missing from the G8:  direct
frequency entry, and selectable DSP filter settings (1, 2, 3, 4 and 6  kHz). This
latter capability really transforms the radio into a DXer's  dream.

FM reception is very similar to that of the G8/ PL-300WT, although my own
impression is that the FM sensitivity is off a shade from that of the G8,
perhaps because of the different whip antenna design. The amazing FM
selectivity  is identical, however, as well as the stellar stereo separation. G8 and
PL-300WT  owners will probably not find much difference in the D96L's FM
performance,  including the capability of chasing E-skip and tropo DX.

The D96L is designed strictly for the Chinese domestic market, and the
labels and owner's manual are entirely in Chinese. There is no effort underway
to provide an English manual. Most of the basic operational points have
been figured out by the initial ordering group, but we are still puzzling over
 some of the finer points. The batteries are of a lithium-ion proprietary
type,  and the supplied adapter is designed for 240V house current-- meaning
that none  of us has yet been able to get the batteries to show a full
charge on the  radio's display.

Interested DXers may wish to wait until we have more QC information on the
D96L before placing an order, but at least from the perspective of the unit
I  received, the radio looks very promising indeed. Thanks again to Guy
Atkins for his detailed work in investigating this model, and its sibling,
the D92L (and tracking down an ordering source). Both of these new DSP models
will be thoroughly reviewed in the upcoming 2009 Shootout, as well as the
other  new DSP models causing such a sensation in the Ultralight radio
enthusiast  group.

73 and Best Wishes,

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to