[IRCA] Second Grundig G8 Received and Aligned-- With Good QC

[IRCA] Second Grundig G8 Received and Aligned-- With Good QC

Hello All,

Curious whether the Grundig G8 model has a different AM loopstick
construction (and alignment) method than its Tecsun PL-300WT clone, I ordered  and
received a second G8 unit from Amazon yesterday, after a shipping delay of 5
days.

Like my first G8, the unit had good AM sensitivity out of the box, and
could have been used for AM DXing immediately without any significant
difference  with the aligned units. All the other bands had performance identical  to
the first G8, i.e. thrilling FM sensitivity and selectivity, but very  deaf
LW, and SW bands with more "birdies" than an aviary.

As in my first G8, the AM loopstick had much less wax securing the  coil
than in the two Tecsun PL-300WT's that I've aligned, making the AM
sensitivity peaking procedure go much more quickly. There was a minor gain in AM
sensitivity after I shifted the loopstick coil about .25" to the right on the
ferrite bar, for a final inductance of around 310 uh. Fortunately, it
appears that these units typically have peak AM sensitivity with the coil  shifted
a little to the right, since shifting the coil to the left involves
cutting away the left plastic mounting bracket (as Steve Ratzlaff  discovered).

The Grundig G8's DSP-enhanced AM and FM performance provides a tremendous
value at Amazon's $50 shipped price, but such value seems to be a well-kept
secret at Grundig/Eton, which continues a strange campaign of
misinformation  until this day. The DSP capability has been denied by Eton's Austin
Parker, and  nowhere is it mentioned in any of Grundig's advertising (or on the
shipping box,  or owner's manual). The size, weight, and photos posted for
the G8 on Amazon and  Universal Radio are also still in error. Like Bob has
mentioned, it's almost  like Grundig/Eton is afraid that interest in the less
expensive,  DSP-capable G8 will detract from the appeal of the pricier
Grundig G6, and other  less-advanced models. It's quite a bizarre situation, but
a bonanza for  purchasers of cutting-edge technology in Ultralight radios.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000006)